Problem Selecting Programs

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by acf135, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1 of 13
    acf135

acf135 New Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Hi, I am having a problem with my HR10-250 HD - Tivo. I've been doing a search but haven't had much luck finding any answer. My HD Tivo is about a month old.

The problem I am experiencing occurs when I try to select a program in the now playing list. When I highlight a program and press select, instead of it going forward to the information screen it takes me back to the first menu, the menu that pops up when you press the directv menu on teh remote. It does this randomly, and sometimes I have to select a program 10 - 20 times before I can get it to play.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or have any suggestions? I've tried restarting numerous times but no luck.

Thanks in advance

2. Nov 9, 2005 #2 of 13
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Once you have the show selected, use the play button to play the program. This will bypass one button click.

Did you try a reboot?

3. Nov 9, 2005 #3 of 13
    zamzickles

zamzickles New Member

May 21, 2002
    The OC
    I know that cross posting is not recommended but I had the same problem after drive issues(read the reset thread). Every time I selected a recording it simply went back one menu instead of bring up the selections for the recording selected. I thought it might be a corrupted Now Playing database. ?? Any one else?

4. Nov 9, 2005 #4 of 13
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Again, did you try a reboot?

5. Nov 9, 2005 #5 of 13
    acf135

acf135 New Member

Sep 16, 2005
    I've restarted it a few times... as for the play button suggestion, i wouldn't mind doing that but I am worried something may be wrong with it. Is there anotehr way to reboot?

6. Nov 9, 2005 #6 of 13
    acf135

acf135 New Member

Sep 16, 2005

Thats exactly the same problem I'm having

7. Nov 9, 2005 #7 of 13
    zamzickles

zamzickles New Member

May 21, 2002
    The OC
    acf135, after all my troubles and a call to customer service, I finally have achieved TIVO. To make a long (6 days) story short, the original database files were corrupted, copying from one drive to another (new drive) simply compounded the problem. The final answer was a new clean image file (InstantCake) onto the new drive, a complete day-one restart (including a clear everything reset). Not at all fun.

My suggestion to the 'faint at heart' is to buy one of the preconfigured REPLACEMENT drives from one of the vendors in the upgrade forum.

8. acf135

acf135 New Member

Sep 16, 2005

So you're saying that the database is probably corrupt? What are the warrany ramifications if I decide to open my tivo in order to clean everything?

9. zamzickles

zamzickles New Member

May 21, 2002
    The OC
    Warranty probably voided. The thought boxing up, shipping and WAITING to get some refurb replacement was even more upsetting.

10. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    I had this exact same problem today .... select or right-arrow in the Now Playing list simply takes you back to the Now Playing list. The play button still played programs. My problem was curred (for now, at least) by a simple reboot.

11. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    these things need rebooting so often you'd think they are computers ;)

12. frinknoise

frinknoise New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    I upgraded to 6.3 two days ago without any problems. Last night, the Select Button stopped working for playing shows (it just takes me back to the Now Playing List). Also, the Info Button from the Now Playing List does nothing -- doesn't even refresh the Now Playing List screen like Select. I can still play shows using the Play button, and once they're playing, the Info button works.

Also, if I hit Menu while a Suggestion show is recording, it takes me back to the Now Playing menu without asking if I want to cancel the recording or not... meaning I can't seem to stop it from recording these shows while they're in progress. Argh!

[Update: Using the thumb rating buttons while on the Now Playing screen results in the "bang" sound -- I can only seem to rate programs while playing them.]

Rebooting didn't fix the problem for me. =(

13. LuckyGreen

LuckyGreen New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    San Jose
    I am experiencing the same issue as frinknoise: upgraded to 6.3 using The Slicer 1.3. Upgraded TivoWebPlus using The Enhancement Script. Pushing "Select" when a show is selected in "Now Playing" refreshes the screen. Pushing "Info" does nothing. Play works.