"Problem getting tuner"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Eccles, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

I recently replaced our Premiere XL with a new Roamio Pro. We're on Tim-Warner here in Austin, so we require a Tunig Adapter for SDV. I swapped out the CableCARD and connected the new unit in place of the old, and everything has been working great for the past three weeks. However, over the weekend, it started to miss recordings. Not miss them entirely, mind you, but only record the first 60-70 seconds of some shows. Checking the History shows they all got the same error: "Problem getting tuner."

That has to be one of the least helpful error messages I've encountered yet, not to mention the least accurate - it was obviously able to obtain a tuner, because it successfully started recording each show. Perhaps it had trouble retaining the tuner, but that still doesn't give me much to go on.

Figuring that the culprit is more likely to be the TA than the TiVo, I power cycled the TA, and it all appears to be working fine again now, but I'm concerned that that may simply have masked the problem, and/or that it will return in another few weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm still (just) within the 30-day return period - should I place a call with TiVo so that I have it on record in case it does it again?

2. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    We have a Romio and just had the same thing happen. Never had the problem before. It failed to record a whole show that is two hours...but recorded all the others. This has 4 tuners. Have not done anything about it. We use cable cards here in the states.

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I've seen it (rarely) without a TA on Comcast here in the ATL, but oddly enough only for a couple of CBS shows that failed to record.

As you said, it's a really dumb error message that says little about what the problem was.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A couple questions...
    1. How are your tuning adapter and Roamio Pro connected together? Are you feeding the coax to the Roamio from the tuning adapter's "TV Out" port, or are you feeding each device directly from the outputs of a splitter?

2. Are you doing MoCA on your network?

Most people recommend splitting the tuning adapter and DVR coax feeds (rather than using pass-through), and it's really a must if you're doing MoCA. See this post for more info.

5. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001

Advertisements

I've just started getting these occasionally on my Roamio.
    It's frustrating because I finally transferred all my SPs/OPs to the Roamio and I've been using the Premiere as backup only and if I hadn't done that I'd have lost shows.
    I have a TA but the channel which it failed on is a local channel which is not supposed to be SDV'ed.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Did you reboot the TA? I just had this last night. Been searching for a program for a couple of weeks, finally got it and only 2 minutes of recording. Went to the channel live and v53 error. Rebooted TA and it was back. Im not sure if it has to be an sdv for things to screw up.

7. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Yeah, I've rebooted it and had TWC "Hit" it a couple of times.
    I'm still getting the issue. I had two separate recordings of the same show come in at 6 minutes apiece and then say "trouble getting tuner".

I don't know that it's on the TA side.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Have you checked the signal strength on the troublesome channels?

9. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I don't have a TA, but I had an issue where my cable card stopped receiving OOB messages. I fixed this by removing the cable card and putting it back in and having Comcast send a hit on the card, but even after I did that I got a "Problem Getting Tuner" error on a program on my Roamio.