probably a stupid question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by not2high2fly, Apr 21, 2011.

1. not2high2fly

not2high2fly New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    I have an old philips dsr 708 direct dvr tivo from years ago when we used to have direct tv. My stupid question is can it be used as a nanny cam to record audio and video if I hook up a camera and if so how do I do it please. Thank you

2. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    Of course you can, everyone is doing that now. :)

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    On DirecTV TiVos like that one, no. They have no A/V input, only satellite input.

A Standalone Series 1 or 2 will, but most models will require subscription to even manually record.

4. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I don't know if it will work for you, but I was able to connect a camera to a RF modulator then connect that to the Tivo. But it wasn't a Directtv Tivo.

The RF modulator used was one of those things that they use to sell to convert RCA connections to a coaxial input. Like to connect a DVD player to a TV that doesn't have RCA connections.
    They are available at the thrift stores for about $5. Or new at Radio Crap, oh sorry, I meant to say "Radio Shack".
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095

Someone else on here mentioned using Channel 0 for input of a camera without the modulator, but I didn't find a Channel 0 for any available providers.
    But it is all a mute point if you can't record anyway. That part of it I am not familiar with on DirectTV boxes.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    As classicsat says, the DirecTV TiVo models cannot record from any external source other than a DirecTV satellite dish.