Prob with VOD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TxPres, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1 of 11
    TxPres

TxPres Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Central Texas

Advertisements

When I go to the VOD Screen on my TivoHD, it says I have a network problem.
    However, the unit sees my Tivo S2 on the network, sees my Tivo Desktop on my computer, and has no problem downloading the guide info.
    Also, my S2 sees my HD, and my desktop sees both the S2 and the HD. I can transfer shows between any of the three units.

When I go to the HD network connections screen, the network status is fine, the network diagnostics show DNS test Success, but the Port Configuration test as FAILED.

My HD is in the DMZ of my router and I have checked and ALL PORTS are open!

I have rebooted everything many times.

Tivo HD works fine except that I can't access any VOD.

Any ideas?

2. Jan 2, 2009 #2 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Did you try to connect to tivo service? If its not connecting, try re-setup your network if you are on wireless Networking.

3. Jan 2, 2009 #3 of 11
    RobAtSGH

RobAtSGH New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Something's going on out there in VODland. I came home tonight to get a "Video Download Disabled" screen for all of the download services. Rebooted, forced a connection, rebooted again, forced a second connection. No network problems, and both units on my account are flagged as having downloads enabled.

Why do I think something's b0rkd on the servers?

4. Jan 2, 2009 #4 of 11
    TxPres

TxPres Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Central Texas
    I am not on wireless. It is hardwired ethernet.
    Also, it connects to the Tivo service with no problems. Always has.
    Thats what makes this so difficult to troubleshoot.

5. Jan 2, 2009 #5 of 11
    TxPres

TxPres Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Central Texas

Advertisements

Maybe you are right. However, I have been having this problem for at least a week, which is when I first checked the VOD screen to see if I could use my Netflix for download.

Also, I do have unlimited Netflix. I also have both of my Tivo's set for having downloads enabled and OPT-In (or whatever it is called).

If I can't get it figured out here, guess I will call Tivo Service and see if they can help. My quess is all they will recommend is a reboot or replace the unit.

6. Jan 2, 2009 #6 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Odd that VOD from my THD menu works.

7. Jan 3, 2009 #7 of 11
    RobAtSGH

RobAtSGH New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    According to support, a fair number of units that connect via broadband were being flagged in the system as non-broadband. Apparently, the servers that handle that particular chore as part of the update process (the nightly call) were overloaded with the "Christmas TiVo" activations, and the bit that recognizes whether or not you're coming in at dialup or broadband speeds was timing out and giving an incorrect result.

At this point, that problem should be fixed. If you're still having VOD issues, you should definitely open a case.

8. Jan 3, 2009 #8 of 11
    TxPres

TxPres Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Central Texas
    I have never had much luck with Tivo Support, but it looks like I don't have any choice.

I can't believe that I am the only one having this problem.

9. Jan 3, 2009 #9 of 11
    TxPres

TxPres Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Central Texas
    Talked with Tivo Support and they said that it sounded like it was a problem on their end, not mine. He said that they were having all kinds of problems with VOD and their servers were overloaded.

He said to wait a while and it should resolve itself when they get their problems solved. However, he had no idea how long that would take.

So for now, looks like I will not have the ability to use VOD.

10. TxPres

TxPres Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Central Texas
    Checked today and the VOD is now working. Guess the Tivo Support people knew what they were talking about.

Tried the Port Configuration test and it still FAILED. However, since the VOD is working I am not going to worry about the Port test.

Also, I was able to move the Tivo out of the router DMZ and back behind the firewall and the VOD still works. Looking Good!

11. cbad

cbad New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I'm happy it is resolved for you, and can only hope that will happen to me sometime soon too. I have exactly the same problem (you described it well).

And to underscore that it is not a network problem on my end, Tivo put a Netflix promo on the main menu this weekend in my area (So. Cal). No problem connecting to and watching Netflix from there. But try through Video on Demand and I just get the network error messages and denied access.

Did you happen to notice if you got a software upgrade that may have fixed it?