Pro and Con Lists

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by 36446, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 36446

36446 New Member

May 19, 2011
    This is my pro and con list i've came up with and if anyone wants to add some you think would be nice feel free.

This Pro and Con is focused on the Premiere Vs. Cablebox DVR

TiVo Pro:
    - Boardband Options (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Blockbuster, Pandora, Youtube and much more)
    - Can recover recenlty deleted shows
    - Intelligent Recording (Season Pass)
    - Wishlist
    - Cable and OTA at the same time
    - 1080P HD
    - 45HD/400SD (Premiere) 150HD/1200SD (Premiere XL)
    - Smaller then most cablebox's DVR
    - Able to transfer shows/movies to computer and burn them if you want using Roxio
    - Able to transfer shows/movies to other TiVo as long as it's not copyright protected
    - TiVo.com (See to-do list, recorded shows, and guide)
    - Online scheduling using TiVo.com
    - Modify the way the shows/movies are recorded easier with the TiVo Remote and User Interface
    - The best search and menu functions of any DVR.
    - Free Phone Support
    - Auto CreditCard Billing
    - Flat monthly rate or able to buy PLS
    - Can use a slide keyboard remote control
    - E-SATA for external storage

TiVo Con:
    - You own it so if it's breaks out of warranty you have to pay for it (Unless it's an RCN TiVo)
    - No access to Cable Video on Demand services unless you also rent a cable box.
    - You must maintain a network/phone connection or the service will stop working
    - You have to buy a TiVo paid subscription separate from your regular cable bill
    - Only two HD tuners

Cablebox DVR Pro:
    - Costs and rental fees are included on one bill
    - Cable Video on Demand services
    - You don't own the machine so if it breaks you get another one from the cable company
    - Have a technical installer come to the house for hookup or troubleshooting (At a price)

Cablebox DVR Con:
    - Not a TiVo
    - Much lower quality service
    - More difficult to use.
    - No Boardband Options
    - May not have remote access capabilities
    - May not transfer shows to another device
    - Have to be at the house for the technical installer
    - Fluctuating bill

2. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I like the breakdown, but I have one gripe:
    Wouldn't the only reason for a fluctuating bill be a result of one of the features, i.e. On Demand? When I had cable my bill only changed when I changed packages, or providers. Doesn't make sense to list On Demand as a feature, but then list it as a con because you have to pay for what you watch. TiVo would be in the same boat if Amazon didn't do a direct bill.

3. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I have had Dish, Direct-TV, and Cable. They all went up quite regularly without programming changes. There was a long period with Dish where they didn't but that had changed the last few years with a couple raises.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Pay lifetime, and consider it part of the cost of buying the Tivo.. now you no longer have a monthly bill "separate from your cable bill".

5. ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Those all look like one group to me, honestly.

My list of Cons for Tivo also include:
    - The 30 minute buffers, versus an hour or more on most devices, and on my old ReplayTVs, only limited by free space.
    - At least in my setup, much less reliable HDMI audio handshaking than my old DirecTV DVR, resulting in frequently having to turn things on and off to get audio back.
    - Brutal reboot times, longer than even what I already considered slow on my ReplayTV, and probably even longer than my DirecTV DVR, which spent most of that time acquiring the satellites.
    - At least when you use the HD interface, the audio does not seemlessly continue. If I am not mistaken, when you use the SD interface, in most cases, you simply don't get video when you are in the menus, right? To me, this is ludicroud.
    - Netflix implementation bad enough that if you have another box that will do it, you're usually better off leaving it alone on the Tivo, but I don't know that any/many other DVRs have Netflix integration.
    - That stupid trademark Tivo sound.

You might think I don't like my Tivo. I do, and I wouldn't be caught dead with a Comcast DVR, but your list of Cons was a bit short. ;)

6. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    You can turn that off. Or at least I can on my Tivo HD.

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The OP's is a really good and fair list that hits the head, and I also agree 100% with ncfoster's additions.

8. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    My additions --

TiVo Pro:
    - Able to upgrade the internal Hard drive
    - familiarity with the Tivo method.

TiVo Con:
    - you must jump through additional hoops to get service running - ie. Cable cards; tuning adapters, etc.

Cablebox DVR Pro:
    - Upgradable at no cost when a newer model comes out

Cablebox DVR Con:
    - Forced to the recording capacity of the unit/unable to increase storage capacity.
    - Menus may not be as user friendly
    - frequently only allowed to pay monthly, as a result, charges most likely will increase over time

Regarding what someone else posted above:
    I would say they aren't the same at all.. then again the first point isn't really a Con, unless you're a diehard Tivo fanboi; then I could see it being a Con; It's like... a Ford F150 pickup is better then a Chevy pickup, one of the Chevy's Con's is that it isn't a Ford.. well duh. :) All the other Cons versus the Pros on the other side is what defines and makes up the whole "the Chevy not being a Ford"

9. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
  10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Depends on your cable company. FiOS charges $49 to upgrade to their new DVR.

11. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    Time Warner does not charge (at least did not charge me a while ago).

12. lonewoolf47

lonewoolf47 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Denver, CO.
    I still don't understand why TiVo hasn't extended the thirty minute buffer.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Cablebox DVR Con:
    * You lose all your programming when you upgrade.

(yes, if you completely get rid of a Tivo, you lose it too.. but if you have non-protected shows, you could either download the shows to a computer, or temporarily have both Tivos activated, and transfer shows from one to the other..)

* You can't even TURN OFF the channels you don't receive. They show up in the listings when you try to search for things, or when you channel up/down. (I believe this is STILL true for the vast vast vast majority of cable boxes.)

BTW, I complain on here a *lot* about Tivos too.. They're just *by far* the least bad.

14. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Actually, you can do a direct transfer if you do an upgrade. Last I knew they allow you to keep the old Tivo up for 60 days.

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Just pointing out that streaming seems to be here even if copy protection is used now... just navigate to the other Tivo and hit play. YMMV, not official yet, but just saying that's a BIG pro!

I, too, do not understand why Tivo hasn't extended the 30-minute buffer with today's larger drives - is there any technical reason? Topic for another thread, perhaps...

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Either techinical or just not as big of a priority. It did make their top requested suggestions though on the TiVo Feature Suggestion Survey.

http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/

17. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Extending the 30-minute buffer to 60 minutes would probably take about 30 minutes of some programmer's time (or maybe a bit longer if the original code was poorly written). Allowing us to specify 30 or 60 or 90 minutes would take a bit longer because of menu editing.

18. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    "When I change the channel, warn me before losing the stored live TV cache"

Yes, I agree. Dish DVR's do this and it is a HUGE help. I have always been a bit surprised that as well thought out TiVo was from day one, that they don't have such a pop-up to allow us to save what is in the cache. I have accidentally changed channels a few times only to realize that I did want to save what was in the cache, and I've lost it forever. A good 15 minutes of show up to the climatic end has been LOST a few times. Doooohhhh! At least Dish DVR's ask you before executing the channel change.

19. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Our cablebox buffer sizes are just a mere 15 minutes... depending on your cable provider, that may be a con.

20. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The main reason I switched to Tivo was because the cable company was going to charge $25 extra a month for a second DVR and wouldn't allow us to have three. Tivo gives Multi-Box Discounts which is about 1/2 the subscription cost for each added box.