private cable system

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Robert Berg, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Robert Berg

Robert Berg New Member

Oct 22, 2017

Advertisements

I have a mobile home in a community that provides cable TV which is part of my Homeowners Association. No cable box is needed but it is digital.

If I buy a TIVO Bolt can I connect the coax cable directly to the Tivo and then to the TV? I don't need a cable card and there are no channels that are scrambled.

I haven't been able to find anything that describes this type of situation.

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It'll scan and tune clear QAM. whether you can get guide data is something you'll need to pursue with TiVo.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, you can do a channel scan, but as was posted, the guide will be the problem. First, check tvguide.com since there may already be a lineup for your location. If not, getting one built by TiVo could be a problem.

How are the channels sent? By that I mean: if you connect the cable to your TV, channel scan, what are the call letters and channel number of your CBS station?

There are cheaper alternative clear QAM DVR boxes. A Bolt is a nice box, but it is not cheap.

BTW, a few years ago there were many clear QAM cable systems. But now most are encrypted and need a cable card. I still have one clear QAM channel on my cable feed.

4. Robert Berg

Robert Berg New Member

Oct 22, 2017

The cable is connected directly to the TV. I have a list of the channels and what number to find them at. I do a channel scan. I'll be there in a few days so I'll review it again. On my way there...Thanks

JoeKustra likes this.
  5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014

Advertisements

I think you have to ask your neighbors.

6. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    BTW the channel # is often a virtual #. It often doesn't match the physical channel #. So until you do a scan, when the TiVo can pick up the virtual to physical channel mapping information, typing the channel # might not get any channel to display.

EDIT: what I should be saying is if you got your list of channels from the TV, they may not match what TiVo scans as the TV may be giving you virtual channel #s.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You know that TiVo doesn't use the PSIP. right? So while you will see the virtual channel number, it is because TiVo knows the mapping. My question (about CBS) was just to see if the OP is getting whole numbers, clear QAM numbers, or virtual numbers that his TV can convert. This could happen if his RV park is just a MATV system.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Nevermind what I replied earlier, I was remembering incorrectly. I was conflating pulling a CableCARD from my TV that had the S3 OLED attached, with the actual S3 OLED.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  9. Robert Berg

Robert Berg New Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I guess the only way to know is to purchase a Tivo and see what happens. They have a 30 day return policy, so if it doesn't work I ship it back.

10. Robert Berg

Robert Berg New Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I guess the only way to know is to purchase a Tivo and see what happens. They have a 30 day return policy, so if it doesn't work I ship it back.

11. Robert Berg

Robert Berg New Member

Oct 22, 2017

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Post 3 will help eliminate many variables. It may not prove that it will work, but it may help deciding if it won't work.

13. fredi

fredi Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    This happens to me all the time when I pull the RV into a park that has built their own cable system (usually from satellite.) Make sure you have a TiVo that can receive signals from both cable and antenna, because their are plenty of private cable systems that are ATSC, not clear QAM. The TiVo will ask for your zip code and then give you a list of cable companies to choose from. You can also select that you don't know and then TiVo will ask if a program is on a certain channel. Keep telling it no until it guesses right or you get board and pick one and live with the wrong channel information.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Robert Berg likes this.
  14. Robert Berg

Robert Berg New Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Thanks!!

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Like I suggested in post 3, just go to tvguide.com and see if your zipcode has your location. Second opinion from tv.com.