1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Privacy Status: Opt Out

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Sheffield Steve, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1 of 21
    Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    So I called Tivo at 1-877-367-8466 as per the website to opt out of data collection on my account.

I was told that if I opt out I will lose all my streaming ability (Netflix, Hulu, etc., etc.), as they are 3rd party vendors and without the data they will cease to function.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

2. Feb 4, 2016 #2 of 21
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I can not verify anything for you, but I think there was some discussion of this back when streaming started for the Series 3. You might try searching for it.

3. Feb 4, 2016 #3 of 21
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think it's funny that the website has said opting out online is "coming soon" for like 4 years now.

4. Feb 4, 2016 #4 of 21
    tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    The answer is simple. Opt out and see what happens. If you need to opt back in.

5. Feb 4, 2016 #5 of 21
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Please let us know if you try it as Opting in has always bothered me. I opted in by signing up on their website so I could use the web control of my TiVo but in the end never used it. Netflix though, that is hard to believe.

I suppose you could opt back in by using the website, surely easier than a phone call.

6. Feb 4, 2016 #6 of 21
    MgoBlue65

MgoBlue65 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I opted out when I first signed up and it has not effected any of my streaming services (Prime and Netflix). The weird thing was the rep had no idea about the opt out however she ultimately did find the setting (which was confirmed on my account when I log in).

7. Feb 5, 2016 #7 of 21
    Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Talking to the rep, it appears there are several layers of opt-out settings???

She said I'm at the most private setting that will still allow streaming to work, whatever that means.

I'm using my Tivo almost exclusively for streaming (to the point I may just replace it with a Roku), so I'm reluctant to test this further

8. Feb 9, 2017 #8 of 21
    Mondo

Mondo New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    I have called Tivo customer service twice over the past 2 weeks to change my account privacy status to "opt out" from the current "opt in". Each time, the agent has confirmed that I am opted out, but when checking my account status later on the web site, it is unchanged.
    I hope Tivo is not intentionally failing to opt-out customers who request it!

9. Feb 9, 2017 #9 of 21
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Another year passes and it still says "coming soon". :D

Mondo likes this.
  10. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    What does your TiVo say ? (System information, ~3 pages down,"Opt Status").

I've been meaning to Opt Out, please let us know your progress.

Mondo likes this.
  11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    IIRC opting out actually has an effect on functionality. I think it disables downloads and possibly streaming. So keep that in mind before you call. Especially since the rep you talk to is unlikely to know exactly what it effects.

12. Mondo

Mondo New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    jth - checked my online account this morning: STILL opt-in! Checked my Tivo System info as you very helpfully suggested -- STILL opt-in as well!

I called up Tivo customer service, explained that my two past calls had not managed to opt me out; I was put on hold for a long wait while the operator consulted higher-ups, which resulted in her trying again to set my account to opt-out, making sure my newest (and now only) Tivo box was the one the settings were applied to. We'll see after a couple of update cycles whether the change sticks or not -- I'll report back.

13. Mondo

Mondo New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Dan, on the 2nd call I made, the operator read me a canned paragraph to the effect that certain 3rd-party services would no longer work through the Tivo box if I opted out, Amazon Prime video is the one I remember. Downloads not working was also mentioned.
    As I was (and am) trying to opt-out of BOTH the "privacy" and "analytics", I'm not sure if only opting out of one of those has the same effects.

As an aside, the current privacy policy (updated in early Jan 2017) reveals that for Premiere/Roamio and newer model boxes, even after analytics opt-out, viewing data will still be uploaded to Tivocorp and used by them. It just won't be sent to advertising/marketing/other outside companies without first being de-identified or aggregated.

14. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Amazon Prime ? That is not good. I guess I could just try it and see, but I'll wait until my Prime is about up.

15. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    "Opt status" is not listed on my System Information. Online I see "Privacy status: Opt-Default."

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Well, isn't that something special. It's gone from mine also.

Just checked my Premiere and it's still there. That box hasn't called for an update since Monday.

:oops: Sorry, it's just above HDUI Available. Same for my Mini.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  17. Mondo

Mondo New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    I actually use my $30ish Fire TV HDMI stick for Amazon video, which seems faster and better than trying to use my Roamio for it. In any case, I just tried using my Roamio for Amazon video, and it still worked, although I suspect Tivo Customer Service are wrong when they claim I have been successfully opted out on the privacy and analytics, as both my Tivo and online account still show "Opt In".

18. Mondo

Mondo New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    On another web site, I found this info posted which seemed relevant to the topic (it's 2 years old, but seems to fit the facts as I see them):
    "
    DVR's are TIVO, under settings, administration, if you page way down there are OPT-
    IN or OPT-OUT. You cannot toggle these from the device, and must contact support via
    phone. They will then flag your account for a single OPT-OUT. But you need to
    escalate the call to a supervisor, and say (these exact words) "I want total
    exclusion, full OPT-OUT of all metrics". (Full opt-out is the code word) To do this
    they have to manually edit your account settings. (this can take up to 20 minutes on
    the phone) Once this happens your account, your TIVO boxes, are permanently disabled
    for all tracking/monitoring/relevantads/pushes. But it cannot be reversed, as once
    you re-download, it actually disables the tracking mechanism in the device firmware.
    (I tried to reverse it, and it was not possible)

You need to verify full-opt-out via Tivo website AND devices AND talking to a
    supervisor. Your account should say;

Privacy status: Opt-Out
    Analytics status: Opt-Out

If you aren't fully opted out, it will say;

Privacy status: Opt-In
    For Analytics Opt Out: call
    us at: 1-877-367-8486"

jth tv and Mikeguy like this.
  19. Mondo

Mondo New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    6 weeks later...
    TiVo has STILL been unable to grant my privacy opt-out requests. My case has been escalated internally there for over a month now with no update or response from TiVo. Less optimistic minds than mine would begin to wonder if perhaps this is intentional... I think it's time to start evaluating possible alternatives to Tivo.

Will update again when there's news.

20. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, here's a possibility: if you want to go one step further, initiate the TiVo dispute resolution process by sending it a Notice of Dispute--TiVo seems to be responsive there (as its policy/procedure requires).

TiVo Corp. Legal Center