Primeval (spoilers for season 1)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jun 3, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

I saw mention of this series in the article that The Sun ran about Russell T. Davies allegedly dropping out of the Doctor Who series after the fourth season and much of his team going with him to work on other projects.

Basically it's a time travel story that has "anomalies" starting to appear in various places in England that one can pass back and forth between other times, and much of what's happening in the first season is incursion of various dangerous prehistoric creatures into the current time.

I just watched all 6 episodes this weekend. I thought it hodls up reasonably well. It's fast-paced, pretty inventive about things and while most time travel stories don't quite hold up terribly well to close inspection, they're not really doing too bad a job, at least so far. The setup for season 2 (now in or just about to be in production) might strain their ability to keep that up, but still, it's a pretty competently written series and has a cast that's pretty easy to get to know and (mostly) like.

If you have the opportunity to watch it, take a chance on it. Especially if you're a fan of Doctor Who and similar shows.

Actually the effects for the anomaly reminded me of "Threshold" -- the failed US series -- and while the premise was completely different, all I could think about was "gee, Threshold could've been really good with writers like "Primeval" has and a better premise like "Primeval" has. :)

2. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    Thanks for the tip. I'm grabbing the first episode right now.

3. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Is this available for download or is it on DVD?

4. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's on DVD in the UK. You'd have to download it otherwise.

5. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Advertisements

Paul Cornell, writer of the Human Factor and other Doctor Who episodes is to work on the second series of Primeval.

For a podcast (about 26.7MB) that includes Paul Cornell talking about Doctor Who and his forthcoming work on Primeval try here>
    http://ia350619.us.archive.org/1/it...ll-humanNatureTheBsfa/imready_paulcornell.mp3

(but in my opinion you won't be missing much if you don't download it)

6. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    BTW, the second series of Primeval started airing January 12th.

7. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Rainy weekend here, so I grabbed all the episodes.

Fun show, don't watch if you're picky about science and all that. Capturing a friendly cute dinosaur as plot device so the pop-star turned actress has to run around in her underwear is goofy, but effective.

The sound guys are very fond of the Wilhelm scream.