Prime Suspect - Pilot 9/22/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bettamojo5, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    New...
    I will be interested to see this tonight. I was part of a focus group that saw a rough cut of the pilot last March. There were 10 of us in a room with a mirrored wall and microphones hanging from the ceiling. We watched the pilot and then they asked us what we liked and disliked about the pilot and what we thought of the cast. They wanted to know if we recognized the Prime Suspect title and none of us did. Turns out this series is a remake of a British series by the same name. At the end they had us write suggestions for changes that we thought should be made. I got paid $75.00 for 2 hours work. :up:

2. Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Member

Apr 26, 2003
    I enjoyed it, will watch again.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, I'm totally amazed people didn't recognize the British show. The new woman (who was from Murder One eons ago, IIRC) seems WAY too young. I realize Prime Suspect went on over many years, but I thought she started out a grizzled old veteran (ex-alcoholic).

I'm still checking it out.

4. itstrue

itstrue No, really

Dec 20, 2004
    I think you may be confusing Maria Bello with Mary McCormack, who was on Murder One. Maria Bello did a short run on ER in the late '90s.

Anyway, I thought it was great for a pilot. Always hesitant to commit to a new series these days, but I'm in.

5. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Betta - How did you find out about the focus group?

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Was it just me or did they not address that she dresses really strangely?

7. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The original Prime Suspect starred Helen Mirren (as Jane Tennison) and were three or four part mini-series type shows if I recall correctly.

8. Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    New...
    I get calls for research groups every once in awhile. They asked me a bunch of questions to pre qualify me and I guess I fit what they were needing.

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    My wife and I recently watched the first episode of the British version and had a very hard time with it. The misogyny and general demeanor of the characters towards Mirren was just wayyyy over the top and made it hard to enjoy the show.

Does this version suffer from the same fate? I feel like the sexism is probably still present in such places but would be off-put if it was still the focus of the show. Fear of that was enough to make me avoid the pilot.

10. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I haven't watched this yet - got it on the DVR - but I'm really worried that it will bear absolutely zero resemblance to the original. But that's true of most British imports anyway (and, to a degree, the other way round too).

I'm just hoping that it's a good show in its own right.

11. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Yankee Fan

Jul 8, 2002
    Fresno, CA
    The first Prime Suspect movie aired in 1991 when Mirren was 46. Bello is 44.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Your suspicion is correct...if they hadn't named it Prime Suspect, you would never pick up that it's supposed to be the same show.

It actually reminds me a lot more of The Closer...only with a more likable lead, and she's not as much in charge. Right down to the sexual baggage she carries.
    Although Mirren was an old 46, and Bello is a very hot 44. They're definitely not going for the same vibe. Not that there's anything wrong with that...the show will have to live and die on its own merits, not how well is mimics the original.

13. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    If the ratings of the pilot are any indication, its death is coming sooner rather then later. It might not have much of a chance to mimic too much of the original.

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am not surprised when anyone has not heard of a British show. I have never heard of it until I started reading that this show is based on it.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I remember when it first aired (in the US, on PBS)...both it and Homicide: Life on the Streets had stories going on about young girls being murdered, and it was hard to keep straight what happened in which show. (Made more difficult, I suppose, by the fact that I was in grad school and thus had lots of stuff on my mind, much of it in Latin.)

Awesome show, though. I think it would seem a lot more conventional now, but back then (early 90s) it was unusual to have a serialized cop show, a strong but flawed female lead, and stories that didn't always end well.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, ok, I should have checked imdb before I posted that. I admit I'm bad with people's ages.. but I seriously would have guessed she was *at least* mid-late 50s when that started.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Bad news, or good news, is that it's acknowledged that the creative team was not at all happy with the pilot even after casting and reshooting changes so it's not at all representative of where the rest of the season will go.

That being said the critics have been generous to the following episodes in the reviews of the pilot.

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I thought it was ok, reminding myself that pilots are strange, difficult creatures. I like the lead. The sexism was a little over the top, we'll see where they go with it. SP still alive.

She does dress uniquely. ;)

Never heard of the UK version, it has no bearing on whether I like a show or not (this is true even if I HAD seen the UK version).

19. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I was a UK Prime Suspect fan until the later seasons when it all seemed about Tennyson's drinking and on/off rehab. That's where I lost interest.

I'll stick with this version a while.

20. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    The SP stays, but that hat has to go. Sorry, Jane.

Was that really Aidan Quinn as the skipper? Damn, he has not aged well.