Prime Suspect - 10/6/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    While not nearly as good as the original BBC series, this one has started to grow on me and seems to be finding its stride. This episode had a lot of really good humor. Bello is settling into the character, her sarcastic quips were also quite funny throughout, as well as some of her reactions to her male co-workers. (Their sexism was played for laughs in this ep and it really worked.)

One of the great things about the original was that the guest stars in each ep - the victims and perpetrators - were just as well-acted as the principles. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case with this version, the two actors playing the suspects were mediocre, at best, which really detracts from the overall story, imo.

Another problem is that the original, unless I'm mistaken, lasted 90 minutes for some episodes, while others were several one-hour eps covering one case. This gave them time to develop the story and characters. This version is 42 minutes without commercials, considerably shorter, so they don't have nearly the same luxury, and it feels a bit condensed.

But, for a U.S. cop show, which I generally don't much care for ("Justified" being the rare exception) this one has real potential. Assuming they don't cancel the darn thing before it has a chance to find an audience.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The first three Prime Suspects were two-part minis totaling about 3.5 hours each. The fourth was three 102-minute movies. Five through seven were like one through three.

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've started to like this show a lot. I think Maria Bello does an excellent job. I might even start an episode thread every once in a while.

4. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Agree, Bello is excellent, as are most of the regulars. I will continue to watch, though I maintain it doesn't hold a candle to the original.

5. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Different show from the original. Helen Mirren is a classic. That said, I like Maria Bello and this show. Yeah, another cop procedural but I like the character's prickly side. Writing is a bit uneven as to the plots but the writers are fleshing out the characters well so that makes it worth watching. Hear the ratings are in the pits but I just hope that the network is desperate to fill time slots.

6. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I really enjoyed this weeks episode. Jane and Duffy definitely had a bonding moment, putting all the other crap aside.

7. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    We've really started to like this show.

Spoilerizing since it has to do with the most recent episode (are there other episode threads floating around?)

And this week's episode was pretty good - except for the whole hospital chase scene. They were on the main floor of a normal hospital - then the bad guy got on the elevator - then all of a sudden it seemed the entire hospital became deserted and was the haunted hospital from hell. Seemed to really be reaching to have a scary chase scene.

8. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    There are no other episode threads...

The conversation they were having was that they had closed a wing of the hospital which is where they were. When they took off they didn't go back exactly the same way they went in, they were trying to get out of the building quicker which sent them deeper into the closed wing.