Prime HD isn't always in HD

Discussion in 'TiVo NZ/Australia' started by frozzbite, Mar 1, 2010.

1. frozzbite

frozzbite New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Australia
    Have you noticed that Prime's HD Channel 60 has a lot of it's programs being broadcast in only standard definition?
    Even the 6 pm evening news is only in SD.
    I think that Prime should be made to declare what programs on its HD Channel 60 are in fact only in SD.
    I hate being conned.:thumbsdown:

2. petestrash

petestrash New Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Perth,...
    Most programs broadcast in Australia on the HD channels are not true HD anyway. Most are just upconverted SD.

You can do a browse by time on the TiVo and select HD as the category, it gives a reasonable clue as to what is really HD (still not 100% accurate though).

Where I am, the afternoon 4:30pm Channel 7 & 9 news is HD, but the main 6pm News is not.

The stations really don't care about their viewers.

Peter.

3. alan.cramer

alan.cramer Australian TiVo User

Feb 22, 2006
    Australia
    Prime use a switching system to switch between SD and HD feeds. When there is no HD programming, the LCN 60 is simply a redirect to the same feed as LCN 6 (which is also the same as LCN 61 and 63 which redirect to the same feed as LCN 6 all the time). When there is a HD program on, Prime will switch to that feed for whilst the programming is available and then revert back. WIN on the other hand (for areas they are actually broadcasting HD) will upconvert their SD channel to their HD channel, which means you et SD quality broadcast on the HD channel. I will agree, it is annoying on Prime HD, especially when it goes black for a few seconds whilst they switch feeds.

4. petestrash

petestrash New Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Perth,...
    That's even more ugly!

5. frozzbite

frozzbite New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Australia
    The prime 7two channel in our area is in fact broadcast on channel 62 not 72.
    This has been available since December 2009.
    So,unbeknownst to me it has been sitting in my tv since then as it was automatically downloaded or tuned in.
    But on the EPG I confused the channel number 62 as part of Primes Prime View Channels 61 62,63 etc which I don't need cluttering up the EPG so I delete them.
    Because of this,I assumed we didn't get 7two.
    When I rang Prime and suggested that they might do a SMALL promo about this to alert other ignoramus viewers like me I was told by the switchboard operator that the powers that be at Prime would probably say nay to that silly suggestion because 7two has been going for a few months.
    So it looks as though Prime doesn't care too much about us minions,.,.,or is the switchboard bird bonkers?!?!:confused::p
    Frozzbite PissStop,.,considering I'd already put me hand up as dummy of the last year I am PISSED OFF.
    And the programs that are on 7two are mostly a mob of useless junk anyway,.,it seems as though I wasn't missing out on much.
    Last year we were getting a HD Channel on Prime that did have some good programs that were different to its normal SD channel but it just disappeared.
    Regarding the relatively new ubewt ONE HD 50 Channel.This is easilythe best thing that has ever hit the free to view airwaves in my tv life time.It's even better than when color was trotted out in Aussie,way back in the 1970's where I lived.
    Let's hope The UFC which is beamed out in all it's blood splattering brilliance on ONE HD 50 goes gangbusters here in Aussieland,.,I reckon just listening to Master of Ceremonies,Bruce Buffer do the fight contestant announcements is rolled gold stuff!:up::D