Pricing question for TiVos bought on Ebay

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dkh7m, Jun 1, 2011.

1. dkh7m

dkh7m New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    My sister is considering TiVo and asked my opinion as a long-time TiVo sub. However, I was just perusing all the new pricing threads and can't quite figure out the answer to this question. If she buys a TiVo on Ebay and activates a new account, what will she be paying per month? $14.95 or $19.99? I assumed the higher monthly fee was to offset the cheaper boxes (gotta love that cell phone pricing scheme), but if ALL subs are $19.99/mo. now I may tell her to just wave off.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Why bother with monthly? Lifetime is cheaper in the long run.

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    If this is her first Tivo, yes, it would be 19.99 a month. Unfortunately, all Premieres are now 19.99 no matter where you get them from, unless you're eligible for the multi-service discount.

I'd second orangeboy's comment - lifetime is really your best bet. You can save $100 by buying it yourself - so the MSD lifetime will be $399 instead of full-price $499 she'd have to pay - then just give her the box (she reimburses you, of course) and you call Tivo CS to transfer the box over to her account.

It's simpler than it sounds, really - and for an easy $100 savings, why not?

Don't forget that you can get a TP for currently 77.99 from Amazon, with no shipping/tax for most, to save a little more cash.

Your other alternative is to look at getting a Tivo HD or Series 3 off Ebay or elsewhere, which would be eligible for 12.95/mo sub, but really, current updates are for the series 4 Premiere so you probably want to stick with a Premiere with lifetime.

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Is the OP looking for a new Tivo or used? I ask because when he said "I was just perusing all the new pricing threads", I assumed he was talking about the change in the pricing structure and not new Tivo boxes.

While the lifetime is a better value in the long run for a new Tivo, many can't afford the $499 in this economy. And that price is certainly outrageous for a used Tivo.

5. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    But once you transfer the box, then isn't there a fee for that?

6. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    No. Once it has lifetime on it, the lifetime goes with the box- no additioonal charges.

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    If it's an older Tivo, like an S3 or an HD, the pricing is $12.95 monthly with a 1-year commitment (look it up;)). The pricing plan is not clear on what it costs beyond the 1st year, but I suspect it will jump to the $19.99 rate. Lifetime for any Tivo is now priced at $499.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    When you pay month to month you have to commit for a year so with the premiere you still have to pay Tivo $240 plus the cost of the premiere. At the end of the year, a premiere without subscription won't be worth very much since a new one can be had for $78 on Amazon.

You might as well spend an extra $160 to get the MSD lifetime rate. At the end of the first year the Tivo should be worth $400.