Price increase poll

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nabuch, Jan 26, 2006.

1. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA
    Having just had my state decide to charge tax for DTV last month, adding almost $3 to my bill, they will raise it another $3 March 1, but for new subscribers, my package will be $6 more. Like the price of gasoline, when does it become too much. If they would add some channels, at least we'd be getting something. For me the limit is $100 a month for everything, so one more price increase and I'm gone. If they want to raise the price than the HD package should be included, as well. They have ben promising new HD channels since 2004, so where are they? Is there anyone out there that thinks DTV is a great bargain and is willoing to pay whatever they ask?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What DirecTV needs to do is have several more tiers of programming than they have now. The premium tiers don't count as far as I'm concerned. They have started a Family Friendly tier which isn't quite right since they removed the news channels. I guess news isn't family friendly (partially true). I don't include the foreign language ones in this discussion either.

Right now you have Total Choice with x number of channels, which are most of them. Add Plus and you get ~14 more. That's it, unless you add in the sports pack. What I'm saying is that Total Choice needs to be broken into at least two pieces. For example, if the Family Friendly pack can not have news, and sports can be separate, then make a separate news pack.

There are many ways that DirecTV could set this up to help DirecTV keep subscribers rather than have them switch to cable.

Once the price increase takes place and I know exactly what the rates are, I'll be making some adjustments. Cable isn't an option at the moment for me, DirecTV is still a better option from a programming standpoint.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    did you really alter any driving you did because of gas prices?

4. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    I quit running errands into town whenever they occurred to me -- and reduced my gasoline tab 50%.

5. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    This poll seems to be lacking an actual poll.

6. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    wow you must have a ton more errands than me. :) There's really nothing I could do to reduce my bill as I dont venture away from my tivo very often :)

7. BarneyTC

BarneyTC New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    South Florida
    I want to pay more and get less...
    I am just glad that Uncle Rupert allows us to share in his beneficence...

8. Rych6896

Rych6896 New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    M*******
    I stopped visiting my mother-in-law.

9. joetoronto

joetoronto HR10-250 Lover

Jul 26, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    lol, yes it is. :D

10. ChrisW6ATV

ChrisW6ATV New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Hayward,...
    If they had "true" A La Carte programming selection available, I might still be a subscriber. Instead, I decided in mid-December that I just wasn't getting $85/month worth of value out of it, so I cancelled after five-plus years. If I could pick only HD movie channels plus a few SD channels, and spend about $50 including the Tivo service, I might have stayed, although the mediocre "HD-lite" quality and their intent to add a two-year commitment extension the next time the HR10-250 broke pretty much made my decision easy, unfortunately.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I really don't have a choice. Comcast is just as expensive around here as DirecTV. Right now DirecTV has the HDTiVo so I am going to stick with them and wait until the Comcast TiVo box comes out and reevaluate the situation then.

12. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    I am going to wait for the Verizon Fios service. They will be video ready in September for the Phila, Delaware, and NJ area.

13. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I wonder how far outside the big city they will go? Any links to that proposed service?

14. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    Just go to Verizon.com - there's links for the Fios service.

15. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    can the OP please post a poll? :) I'm dying to vote!

16. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Where do hear that Septmeber would be the roll out?

17. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    Can't say. But its definately going to happen. The only issues to be worked out is the local cable franchises with each community. Comcast is putting up a BIG fight.

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    wonder how their dvr will be? FF compensation is a dealbreaker for me

19. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Hit the instant reply button once after you FF, or just do a macro in your universal remote. It's not difficult at all.

20. mavsman78

mavsman78 New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    I made the switch to FiOS. Got it installed today. I'm in Carrollton, TX. I love it so far!!! I didn't switch just because of the price. Mainly to get HD Locals and Nationals without paying more.