Preventing issues with Comcast installation & the cable card

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ento190, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ento190

ento190 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Hi -

Several years ago, I moved & did not take my cable card with me. This was before "self-installations" were commonplace. The Comcast installer tried 6 different cable cards and none would work. Luckily, I had not returned my old equipment to Comcast yet, so I went back to my old place and got my old card. Somehow, that worked, when all the other M-stream cards would not work.

I recently had to return the card because I moved somewhere with uverse but I am moving back to Comcast again. I am just concerned that this might happen again. Why / how could tivo "remember" a cable card and decide only to work with one? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I will reset the tivo, but last time that didn't work.

I've heard I should ask for an installer who knows Tivo - but this last experience was with one of their tivo technicians. Thanks for any advice.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just a few points. Cable card pairing is one-way. The cable feed has no clue if it works. You need to tell them. Older cards will fail. The Motorola card has a part number in the format of nnnnnn-nnn-nn. The middle three numbers should be 012 or higher. The part number can only be read visually. Here are some pictures of a happy Motorola cable card from a Roamio:
    CCPair.JPG cc-1.JPG cc-2.JPG
    CCStatus.JPG

I hope you don't need them. Good luck.

3. ento190

ento190 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Thank you so much for the fast reply. Is there any way to tell them I need a card over 012? Do they know that is an issue?

Were you saying you can only read the number on this screen, not the card itself?

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, I don't think they will know what to look for. When I posted visually, I meant that only by looking at the card can you see its part number. It's in very tiny print also.

I once bought two cards on eBay. The card with -002- was not found. The card with -018- was found. I read a post long ago that said -012- was needed. It could just be a coincidence. Also, the SA/Cisco cards are totally different.

BTW, add your location to your profile. Somebody may be close by.

5. ento190

ento190 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks. I'm in Chicago. Could I buy a card online for Tivo with Comcast service? I thought it had to be Comcast's equipment, but that could solve the problem.

Is the "Cable Card ID" with the 015 what I am looking for in your pictures? There were just a few different things there so I waned to make sure. Thanks again.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You don’t even know yet what your new head end’s equipment is. If Comcast is like other providers it might use Cisco or Motorola.

No, don’t buy a card off eBay.

While some people have problems pairing a card, most do not. Just get a card from Comcast and get it paired. If you run into trouble come back here and someone with Comcast service can provide help.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What he said. ^^^^

8. ento190

ento190 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I know what you mean. I've just had a few experiences with Comcast & Tivo (almost all - actually) that have made me a little stressed. One went on for 8 hours, another for several days. In all of the other instances, they always end up on the phone for hours trying to set it up. Self-install was such a miracle when that came out and I could just move the tivo myself.

In general, I was hoping there may be something I could do pre-preemptively to facilitate this comcast visit. It's been a rough move. I am having to move twice in just 2 months due to some insane circumstances. At least I'll get Tivo back and kiss uverse goodbye.

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Comcast has a dedicated cable card hotline. Google for the number.

Live a clean life and cross your fingers. Good luck!

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Did you have to repair the old card again? If not then, Comcast never unpaired it which was probably the root cause of your issue with the other cards.

Scott