Prevent Certain Suggestions on Certain Channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Distortedloop, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Distortedloop

Distortedloop Member

Dec 5, 2007
    San...

Advertisements

Good morning. I've been searching this topic, and only found this "suggestion" a couple of years ago: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=316605 on this topic.

I'd really like to tell my TiVo to NOT record movies on channels like TNT, Bravo, Sci-Fi, USA, etc, because of the commercials and foul language censoring. I tried to watch an action movie the other day off one of these recordings, and it was so butchered with bleeps and content removed to make room for commercials that it really wasn't watchable if you wanted to see the movie in any way like its theatrical release.

On some channels, I just mark the entire channel as not able to receive, but that won't work for something like TNT, where I have to have the channel to get NBA basketball games. I'll also admit to enjoying the occasional reality show off Bravo and its ilk.

A setting in the TiVo suggestions setup to say "don't record movies on these channels" would be perfect!

If there's some way of doing this, please let me know how you all are addressing the problem, or do you just put up with it and delete them? Seems like extra work for the user, and unnecessary wear and tear on the disk drive, not to mention a movie suggestion that I am not going to watch may displace a television show suggestion from another channel that conflcts it.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    And I thought I was the only one thinking that way! I know of no way to deal with the issue currently.

3. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    I assume from your question that you are referring to TiVo auto-recording suggestions, not recordings you intentionally set up.

I don't like cut-up movies either, which is why I still subscribe to Netfix.

But there's really nothing you need to do, other than to not watch movies recorded from channels that do too much editing. The scheduled recordings you set up will always take precidence over auto-recorded shows. Your shows will never be deleted to make room for an auto-recording. There is no "wear & tear" issue because the tuners are always recording the buffers anyway.

Personally, I don't like recordings me and my wife didn't set up, so we have the auto-recording feature turned off.

4. Distortedloop

Distortedloop Member

Dec 5, 2007
    San...
    Ah, good point about the wear and tear not being an issue because of buffers being recorded.

I understand what you're saying about the other issues, but as a suggestion to TiVo, i'd still like to see the feature I mention.

I've come across multiple shows that TiVo suggested that I really enjoy, yet I never would have heard of them if they hadn't been auto-recorded suggestions that TiVo found for me, so I'd rather not turn off auto-record of selections, just because I am lazy to go through the suggestions list and pick and choose which sound interesting.

The risk of losing suggested recordings that I might like being bumped off due to an unwanted commercial station's movie being recorded still exists.

I know TiVo can't operate the way we all want, but this still seems like an easy enough option to program into the settings.

Thanks for the reply.

5. zachcarter

zachcarter New Member

Sep 11, 2006

Advertisements

I've always wanted a feature like this, but for different reasons. At this point, I've seen just about every star trek ever made, so I don't really need any suggestions for that. However, I still want 3 thumbs up for them, because I want tivo to suggest similar shows that I may not have seen before. What I end up with, is a bunch of suggested shows that I've already seen. I'd like to be able to mark a particular show, or episode, as "seen", so that tivo just won't bother recording it again, ever, but it will still use my thumb suggestion to pick new stuff that I haven't seen.

6. BrianAZ

BrianAZ Back on the wagon

Aug 13, 2007
    Chandler, Az
    I'd like something like this as a feature in Wishlists. I am constantly getting old/delayed hockey games on UniversalHD because I have a current wishlist for HD:Hockey (to pick up VersusHD and NBCHD games).

7. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Good idea. I'm a Frank Zappa fan, so I have a Frank Zappa wish list in case VH1 or Bravo decides to run some old rare documentaries abount him.

But what keeps coming up is an old Miami Vice episode where Zappa plays a drug runner. It was a fun suprise the first time this came up and I watched it, but there's really no reason for me to watch it again.

8. Distortedloop

Distortedloop Member

Dec 5, 2007
    San...
    Oh, I agree 100%. I've only been TiVoing since early December, but I've already noticed that repeats of shows I've watched on TiVo get recorded as suggestions. I think I've read that TiVo considers anything you've not recorded in the last thirty days as new material and recordable again.

Star Trek's a particular problem for many I'd think. I have seen every episode of the original series, TNG, Voyager, DS9 so many times I have no interest in watching them again. Same thing for the many movies. Enterprise never entertained me, so I don't want it recorded. I'm afraid to give any of these a thumbs down, as I want TiVo to know that I love SciFi and suggest shows similar to all the various Star Trek ilk, but it gets old seeing the same old Star Trek:TOS, Star Trek:Voyager, Star Trek: DS9, and Enterprise shows crowding up my suggestions list.

Anyone have suggestions on how to address that?

I'm still not sure about proper usage of the thumbs up and down, in terms of when it's appropriate to use how many. Lots of threads saying never use 3 thumbs up or down, yet right in this thread someone says they're doing it.

I love the power of the TiVo (beats my old ReplayTV and cable company provided DVR by a mile), but it's a bit of work to get it doing what you want, isn't it?

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I use 3 thumbs down :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: for "PAID PROGRAMMING" (info-mercials), music only channels (I think with Bright House, they come in 4 hour blocks for "Music Choice"), or any other programming I absolutely do not want recorded.

10. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Many years back my Tivo got the idea that I enjoyed spanish language programming. No matter how many triple thumbs down I gave it I kept seeing random variety shows and soap operas with skinny girls and huge bouncing ****. Eventually I had to remove the channels from those I receive to stop it.

I wish you could configure suggestions to record either "every channel I receive" or "only my favorite channels"

11. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    You need to get rid of your wishlist for skinny girls with huge bouncing **** ;)

12. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It seems that quite a few TiVos go through this "Spanish phase".
    I suspect it is because most network shows have a Spanish secondary audio track (SAP) and so they list Spanish as a show attribute in their extended guide data.

And since, especially early on when you are setting up season passes, you have more shows with thumbs up than thumbs down all the attributes of those shows end up with a positive thumbs rating.
    Since one of the most common attributes shared by those Thumbs'd up shows is 'Spanish' (because SAP programming isn't restricted by actor, genre, director, etc) your TiVo mistakenly assumes you want more Spanish programming.

13. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Thats the first time someone explained the problem while making sense.

14. bd2007

bd2007 New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Atlanta
    I have another reason why I would like to see this feature. I keep the SD version of all my HD channels in my channel list. When I'm making Season Passes, I want to record SD programs on the SD channel and the HD programs on the HD channels. When I record SD programs on the HD channels, they consume as much disk space as if they were HD programs. Tivo Suggestions sometimes gives me HD programs recorded on the SD channel, which I'd prefer to see the HD version... or SD programs recorded on the HD channels which is a waste of disk space.

15. Fab2004

Fab2004 New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    What is even worse (at least for me) is that Tivo's IA seems to have a rule so that if you record programming in a foreign language (say Italian as it's my case, being a native Italian) I am also interested shows in Korean, German, French, etc.

16. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Do you ever meet people like that too? They know you are fluent in one foreign language, so they assume you are fluent in, and are able to translate, unrelated languages as well?

17. Fab2004

Fab2004 New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Not so many in the SF Bay Area, but elsewhere I have.