Presidential Address to Congress 2-24-09

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by brianric, Feb 22, 2009.

1. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ

Advertisements

Presidential Address to Congress, 9-10 PM EST. I only watch NCIS, so I'm not affected. :D

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The stations had enough of a heads up that they seem to have appropriately changed their schedules. Assume this is going to run long since the wonks (that includes me) will stay around for the Republican response which is being done by a potential 2012 Presidential candidate Governor Jindal of Louisiana.

3. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    This will also shift American Idol to Wed and Thursday this week, so if you record that show check your season passes as Idol will be 2 hrs (vs the 1 it would have been) and then 1 hr results on Thursday.

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Thank goodness I've got a Blackhawks hockey game on the TDL for tomorrow night! Otherwise I'd die of boredom....

5. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005

Advertisements

I am amused one again by the people on a forum for a DVR that are screaming about the President taking an hour out of prime time, as if they'll have nothing to watch for that hour and that whatever was previously scheduled will be forever lost in the ether.

6. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Also this isn't done during sweeps, actually due to the digital transition (or what was supposed to be) a lot of shows are doing reruns right now.

However, this thread is warranted in SP as the speech/coverage can easily run long and bump shows back leaving us with the ends of shows cut off as well as AI, a very popular show, being moved to nights it normally does not run on.

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The problem is that it screws up recordings.

Now whatever content one might've had in the timeslot will most likely still record. And now that episode/program will be identified as already recorded, so next week, when it really airs, it won't be recorded, because the TiVo will think it's already been recorded (the 28-day rule)... unless TiVo pushes out a programming data fix after the fact to specifically deal with this -- and they have done so in the past, at least on occasion.

Now if the guide data manages to get changed in time, but changes made in the last 24-48 hours generally don't manage to make it to many receivers in time.

Finally, much of the time, these special interruptions in regular programming are unnecessary. It could be handled much more gracefully; for one, it's supposed to be to Congress... so why not make the address during the day? And if "the people" need a special broadcast, must it happen on practically every over-the-air station simultaneously? Perhaps it could rotate in each market for live coverage, and other stations replay it later -- allowing more people (who don't have benefit of DVR's or did not record it and want to watch it) to see it.

This archaic ritual of interrupting regular programming for "maximum viewers" should be reconsidered and updated based on the completely different broadcast situation we are in in this century.

8. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I have not checked my TiVos' schedule yet but I believe this coverage was known weeks ago (at least, if not further out) so I hope this is not an issue this time around.

9. jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Although if its the mindless American Idol crap, maybe I would rather see Obama.

10. reddice

reddice Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    I would rather watch Obama than any reality crud like American Idol. I always hated American Idol.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    dswallow mostly covered it, but the reason for your amusement is sort of why people are annoyed.

Some of us possibly wouldn't notice *FOR MONTHS* that they had missed recordings and/or had clipped recordings (due to shows being started in progress, or delayed from their original start times).

Again, in this case, it was known far enough ahead of time.. but sometimes it isn't. (and I don't even mean just "breaking news".. but things like sports.)

12. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    It isn't just about knowing ahead of time either. It is a live event that we have to monitor. The last Presidential Address was over the hour scheduled and CBS made a few brief remarks and then cut out, but even then those brief remarks to push shows back a few minutes still screwed up recordings.

13. bballcards

bballcards New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Anyone who watches American Idol (or any other of the ridiculous reality shows) is a chump. Networks love it when the mindless American public watches this crap, since it's far easier to produce on short notice and is much, much cheaper. WATCH SCRIPTED SHOWS.

14. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    You know there is a name for people like you and it is not "lurker".

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Yep. Truthsayer.

16. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's actually more mindless to not know the difference between "its" and "it's".

Do you know that "it's" means "it is"? And that it never means anything else other than "it is"? It's so simple, I don't understand why our schools fail so dismally in teaching such a simple concept.

Regardless, I would also rather hear Obama speak than watch American Idol.

17. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Why is he on TV again? What could he possibly have to say that he hasn't already said in the bajillion times he's already been on? It's only been a month and he's already on more than Billy Mays. At least Mays has credibility.

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Billy Mays? Who?

Pad a bit. Sounds like this could be a long speech and Gov. Jindal will be doing the Republican response.

19. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    [​IMG]

20. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA