Presidential address this Monday 2/9

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by andyf, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 5, 2009 #1 of 45
    andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...

Advertisements

NBC has already decided to bump Chuck to the 23rd. The networks are expected to follow but nothing official yet.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7946

2. Feb 5, 2009 #2 of 45
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The busiest frickin' night of the week. I have SEVEN shows I record and faithfully watch every Monday. :mad:

This is not a political rant, just a "stay away from my Monday's" rant. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Here's hoping several networks turn him down. It is sweeps month . . . :D

3. Feb 5, 2009 #3 of 45
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Actually, it would be kind of nice if some of the networks aired it and some didn't. Obviously, they'll show all the shows eventually, and if they get spread out a little, that's OK!

4. Feb 6, 2009 #4 of 45
    bkm

bkm New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Actually, it's not sweeps month. It was postponed until March this year due to the planned digital switch over that was to occur on Feb 17.

5. Feb 6, 2009 #5 of 45
    msdonnelly

msdonnelly Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Fuquay-Varin...

Advertisements

Haven't seen any change in the listings yet--hope the changes are far enough in advance to get the word to my three TiVos--hate to manually play at the last minute!

6. Feb 6, 2009 #6 of 45
    barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Sad but true commentary on our nation that we have to be forced to watch a presidential address. I guess they can only get an audience if they turn off every other show on every other major network.

Viva cable! Long live TiVo.

I'll catch up on watching some of my TiVo recordings.

Barbeedoll

7. Feb 6, 2009 #7 of 45
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    So far on ABC and NBC they are airing the press conference for 1 hour at 7 PM(Central)
    CBS shows it is airing only 30 minutes 7:00-7:30.

This is from their websites, it's not listed yet on my Tivo

8. Feb 6, 2009 #8 of 45
    jtmal0723

jtmal0723 Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Pennsauken,...
  9. Feb 6, 2009 #9 of 45
    andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
  10. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Sad but true that when the president addresses our country people ***** because it disrupts our television schedules. God forbid. :rolleyes:

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'll reply politely to your sarcasm.

Not everyone is going to watch this. Myself included. I rarely watch presidential talks (Dem or Repub) because they are political in nature. My guess is he will talk about the need to pass the "stimulus". Regardless, I can read about in the paper the next day, or watch a recap on the news. I don't need to hear this, and won't watch. Neither will millions of others.

Would you have us forced to watch it? Thought not. Then why not allow us the ability to watch what we want. Broadcast this on PBS or the CNN/MSNBCs of the country, and leave the rest of us the choice to watch what we want.

/rant off/

12. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Oh jeez, it keeps getting worse. From sitcomsonline.com

13. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    +1

14. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I wasn't in any way, shape or form being sarcastic. Every single time the president addresses the nation and the networks decide to pick it up, people start and contribute to a thread bitching about how this screws up their television schedule. Do you meant to tell me that if you don't want to watch the president you can't find something to watch? Is your Now Playing List completely empty? Can you find nothing on the 200+ channels to watch for that hour?

People are very quick to forget that a not-insignificant percentage of the populous don't have cable and may actually want to watch the president. Politicians call these people "voters" (yes, that actually was sarcasm). If these people want to see the president address the nation, the broadcast networks are where they get it.

You're not missing your shows. They get delayed a week. The networks are building the addresses into their schedule. I'm just really amazed by the amount of complaint - especially on a TiVo board - that comes out when the president addresses the nation. Every time a thread starts complaining about a presidential address disrupting people's TV schedules, I will come in and say as much.

15. Rocketslc

Rocketslc Active Member

Jan 4, 2004
    SLC, Utah...
    This looks like a good use of the digital sub channels. Broadcast regular programing and the new conferences at the same time.

16. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Agreed. Have a POTUS TV channel and just use that when an address is being given. Then, those that want to watch it can, while their TiVos and DVRs continue to record regularly scheduled programming.

17. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Not a bad idea, but that really can't be done until all stations go digital. Until then, the networks are still the only way for millions of people to see these presidential addresses.

18. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Update not yet on m y TiVo. Hopefully they'll get the data pushed to tribune soon.

19. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Actually, it's about recording, not watching. Monday is my conflict night, when I record on more than two tuners. So I have to beg my wife to let me use one of her unused tuners :D. She lets me, but only if I promise to MRV it to my S3 ASAP, and then delete it. I have this delicate ballet of recordings, second only to Wed @ 8PM-CST, when I have four shows at the same time, requiring both of her tuners. Luckily she watches all four of the shows also, so we do some cooperative scheduling then (LOST, Criminal Minds, Life and Idol this week).

So anytime there is a disruption in the force, I have to manually monitor the results to make sure everything still gets recorded. Hey, I have my priorities straight--TV!! :up::eek:

20. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Geeze. TV is so freakin' important I guess. Maybe the government should put everything on Youtube like the weekly radio addresses by the President and the Republican spokesman are now. (actually I had to find the Republican video on the RNC page.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.