Presidential address 8 pm EDT June 22

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by sieglinde, Jun 21, 2011.

1. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

Don't have any details except it is about withdrawing troops from Afghanistan. (yay)

Will mess up primetime in the East.

2. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    I'm sure other stations will post their schedules shortly, but the bottom line is if you have anything important on a major network tomorrow night, you may want to do a little padding on the end (15 minutes to be safe). Your DVR may not receive an update in time to automatically correct itself.

FOX
    Wed. 6/21/11
    Delete
    8:00pm-10:00pm: So You Think You Can Dance (LIVE E/C, Same Day M/P)

Add
    8:00pm-8:10pm: Presidential Address (LIVE all time zones)
    8:10pm-10:10pm: So You Think You Can Dance (LIVE E/C, Same Day M/P)

--

Mountain
    6:00pm-6:10pm: Presidential Address (LIVE all time zones)
    6:10pm-7:00pm: LOCAL
    7:00pm-9:00pm: So You Think You Can Dance (LIVE E/C, Same Day M/P)

Pacific
    5:00pm-5:10pm: Presidential Address (LIVE all time zones)
    5:10pm-8:00pm: LOCAL
    8:00pm-10:00pm: So You Think You Can Dance

3. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    NBC
    Wed. 6/22/11

Delete
    8:00pm-9:00pm: The Voice(LIVE E/C, Same Day M/P)
    9:00pm-10:00pm: America's Got Talent
    10:00pm-11:00pm: America's Got Talent

Add
    8:00pm-8:10pm: Presidential Address (LIVE all time zones)
    8:10pm-9:10pm: The Voice (LIVE E/C, Same Day M/P)
    9:10pm-10:10pm: America's Got Talent
    10:10pm-11:00pm: America's Got Talent

4. E94Allen

E94Allen New Member

Oct 16, 2005
    TiVoJerry,

"Your DVR may not receive an update in time to automatically correct itself."

When is best time to force the connection for update to record properly beforehand without having to manually padding it? I am in the central time zone.

5. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA

Advertisements

I really couldn't say. I'm not sure when the updates will be imported to the servers (if they get imported in time), processed, and then become available to upload. Plus your DVR would have to run the scheduler.

6. E94Allen

E94Allen New Member

Oct 16, 2005
    TiVoJerry, in your experience, what's average for those situations? 1 hour before program starts let's say 6 pm force update for 7 pm program or half hour is plenty? By the way I am just wondering not necessarily applies to this current TV programs delay as you know not everyone watch those TV shows you mentioned. Thanks.

7. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    CBS is just planning to join an Undercover Boss rerun in progress after the President's 10-15 minute speech.

As usual, Mountain and Pacific time zones won't be affected.

phox

8. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    In my experience, I've never been able to get a solid estimate. I won't even hazard a guess because of so many factors between the providers, TMS, our servers, and individual DVR resources. It's all about timing, and too many things at any point in the line can throw off even the crudest estimate, which would only come back to haunt me (I've learned this the hard way with other estimates that I could not control in the past).

Even if the data became available on time, our DVRs are not supposed to make a service connection during primetime. Add in that the time needed to process the database (which doesn't always happen immediately) can vary on start time and duration depending on how large the customer's lineup is and how much free resource the box has.

Unfortunately there are many times when the changes come in after the fact. The "system" for getting data to us and out to boxes needs a complete overhaul to be able to respond much quicker in the future.

I wish I had an estimate I could feel comfortable providing for last minute changes.

9. E94Allen

E94Allen New Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Thanks for your candid answers to my questions, TiVoJerry.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Even if you forced a connection to get the *guide data* updated, I believe you would have to wait OVERNIGHT for the *season pass manager* to actually run and re-jigger your actual recordings.

(I think this kind of discontinuity is similar to why *often* I see late night talk shows show up with generic guide data for the current day, BUT if I do a View Upcoming, then it shows proper data.. It bugs the heck out of me...)

11. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    You sure it isn't about moving ground forces out of Afghanistan with a "brief layover" in Libya before returning to the States?:rolleyes:

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It usually takes about an hour for the Guide Data to process after a call.

At least, on my S3.

13. E94Allen

E94Allen New Member

Oct 16, 2005
    If Premiere hardware is faster... would the update to Guide Data to process would be faster, at least in theory than S3?

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The NBC schedule makes no sense for the Central and Pacific time zones. I will pad but the speech will have been long over.

My normal Wednesday guide update is in the early morning so it will be interesting to see if it reflects the speech. Remember Obama may speak for 10 minutes but the talking heads will speak for at least 20.

15. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    ??
    It makes perfect sense for Central and Eastern, which he said. (Unless he did a edit)
    Pacific will have no changes, they never do if something is live at 8 pm east coast time.

16. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    CBS
    Wed. 6/22/11

Delete
    8:00pm-9:00pm: Undercover Boss

Add
    8:00pm-8:15pm: Presidential Address (LIVE all time zones)
    8:15pm-9:00pm: Undercover Boss – Join In Progress

17. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    ABC

Wed. 6/22/11

Delete
    10:00pm-11:00pm: Primetime Nightline: Beyond Belief (this series now premieres on 6/29)

If you have a Season Pass forPrimetime Nightline, you may need to manually schedule the episode on 6/29 to record (once you have the updated guide data). If tonight's episode recorded as part of your Season Pass, the 28 Day Rule would prevent it from recording again automatically.
    Add
    10:00pm-11:00pm: Primetime Nightline: The Casey Anthony Story

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I guess ABC did not want to mess with it. The speech went 13 minutes but it is too late to tell the east coast people.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's not what I mean.. Again, the To Do list is NOT reprocessed right after the guide data is done processing.

20. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Same problem probably applies to America's Got Talent on NBC. The 2nd show at 10 pm Eastern was a repeat (joined in progress) instead of a new show. My Tivo thinks it recorded a new show. I believe that the new show is scheduled to repeat on Sunday or Monday, but Tivo won't pick it up because of the 28 day rule.

I have scheduled it to also be recorded. However, I am not sure how NBC plans to deal with this issue, so I will watch for schedule changes.