Preserving Tivo shows: ISO file vs VIDEO_TS file

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fbhk, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jun 2, 2011 #1 of 35
    fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    I'm just figuring out how to transfer Tivo programs burned to dvd-r discs onto my Seagate external hard drive. I've noticed that I can save the disc as either an ISO file to my computer, then copy the ISO file to the Seagate, or I can copy the program from dvd-r disc directly to the Seagate as a VIDEO_TS file (thus saving the extra step of copying to my computer first). I want to save these shows to my hard drive so I can stop using dvd-r discs and use rewritable discs, but I want to be able to burn them to disc later if desired.
    I've burned both the ISO file and VIDEO_TS file to a blank disc and believe the quality to be the same. Is there any advantage to saving these programs as either ISO files or VIDEO_TS files? I assume there's no difference, but I wanted to ask. Thanks.

2. Jun 2, 2011 #2 of 35
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivo shows are MPEG, I don't understand why you just don't save them that way.

3. Jun 2, 2011 #3 of 35
    fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    If I rip the discs to my computer without using a dvd copy software program, they only show up on my computer as "video clip", not mpeg, and I can't burn them to disc later since they're not an ISO image or a VIDEO_TS file. Am I missing something?

4. Jun 2, 2011 #4 of 35
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can just *download* the shows to your computer -- on Windows with the official Tivo software, or on other platforms (e.g. Mac) with things like kmttg.. If you have them do the automatic decoding, they end up with regular MPEG files. (However, to play them back on a Mac, you need VLC, mPlayer, or most but not all play with MPEG Streamclip along with Apple's MPEG 2 playback component.) The "decoding" is not video conversion, the quality is not changed.

5. Jun 2, 2011 #5 of 35
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    huh? rip the discs? you've completely lost me,
    A Tivo records in MPEG with a simple DRM wrapper, DirectShowDump can then convert it with your MAK to a standard MPEG.

So I would have the Tivo record it, use TivoDesktop to bring it to a PC, use DSD to convert it to an MPEG with no loss or transcoding, and then archive it in the manner of my choosing.

Are you using one of the Tivo/DVD combo units?

6. Jun 2, 2011 #6 of 35
    fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    I've tried to download to my computer using Tivo Desktop, but many of the programs are 3-4 hours long (all are in HD, none in SD), and the transfers always fail between 1/4 and 1/2 of the way through. I have two Tivo HD units, one is hard wired to my router (Linksys E4200 dual band gigabit), the other has a Tivo wireless N adapter, but neither will transfer a complete program. Therefore, if I want to save something, I'm forced to record from Tivo to disc, then burn/rip the disc to my computer (if I don't want to keep a disc around but want the ability to burn to disc later).
    If I could tranfer the programs via Tivo Desktop, I wouldn't have a problem. Are you able to transfer long programs in HD successfully?

7. Jun 3, 2011 #7 of 35
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Yes, regularly. I use kmttg (and tivodecode) in place of TiVo Desktop.

8. Jun 3, 2011 #8 of 35
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Are these files, by any chance, being truncated at the 2 or 4 gigabyte point? There's a known problem with a certain virus scanner (IIRC) where it does that.

Re: your original question, ISO files are basically the next step past the VIDEO_TS folder structure in making a DVD. If you were to mount an ISO as a virtual disk, VIDEO_TS is what you'd find inside it. So yeah, no difference.

And guess what's in the VIDEO_TS folder? An MPEG program stream. Except that it's chopped up into 1-gigabyte chunks, which are given the extension ".VOB", and some chapter info and other stuff is added.

9. Jun 3, 2011 #9 of 35
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Sounds like you're transferring to a disk that's formatted as FAT32 instead of NTFS. FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB. If the files are getting cut off at 2GB you're probably running Kaspersky antivirus.

10. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Yes, 19.6GB, does that count as long? :up:
    I would with with the other suggestions such as verifying you have an drive that can support the large files, and then the potential antivirus issues.

And I STILL don't get how you're getting them on to a disc! are you taking the output of the Tivo and feeding it in to a DVD burner? If so you're making it a lot more complicated, fixing that transfer glitch would make your life much easier and give you better archival copies since there would be no processing.

11. fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    I'm new at this, so bear with me. I think I read in one of the posts above that kmttg is for Mac, and I have a PC. Can I use kmttg with Windows?

12. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Not to mention the HD resolution shows would be stored as HD rather than being downconverted to SD.

Yes, really need to get your tivo to go figured out rather than this dvd burning kluge.

13. fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    I'm not sure at what point the files are being truncated. Most of the files are 20-35 gb, and I've seen them get beyond the 2gb point. I would say it's possible the transfers are failing at the 4 gb point, but I haven't stayed glued to the tranfsers long enough to find out.
    Thanks for the info on ISO and VIDEO_TS files.

14. fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    I am running Kaspersky (per Best Buy's recommendation when I bought my HP desktop there 6 months ago). Assuming you're right that my hard drive is formatted as FAT32 instead of NTFS, how do I go about reformatting to NTFS?

15. fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    Most of the files I'm trying to transfer are 20-35GB, so as the posts above suggest, either my hard drive currently won't support such large files, or Kaspersky is interfering with the transfer. Will investigate.
    As far as getting the programs onto disc, I'm doing just what you said. I'm taking the recorded Tivo program and burning it onto a dvd-r disc through a dvd recorder. Isn't that standard practice if you know you want to keep a copy of a program on a disc?

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

How are you burning a 20 to 35GB file to a DVD? A DVD only holds 8.5GB.
    Even if you used a BD, you would need a dual layer BD to go over 25GB plus it is very slow. Hard drives are inexpensive and very large now. They are also much quicker to copy a file to than burning it to a DVD or BD.

17. evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008
    With Kaspersky, you have to make an exception for the program you are using to transfer from the tivo to your pc.

18. fbhk

fbhk New Member

May 30, 2011
    I'm having to use 3-4 dvd-r's per file. Cheaper than using dual layer but they pile up. I'm just now figuring out how to copy to file, so I'm going to stop using -r discs and use -rw's to copy to file. Then, if I can get the transfer issues fixed, I'm going to stop burning to disc altogether.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    kmttg is Java, so it's cross platform.. in other words, the UI is probably funky on all platforms! (it's definitely not Mac-like.) But the functionality and the feature additions by the author make it worth dealing with the slight weirdness. (There's at least one feature he added just because I asked for it.)

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Kaspersky is the first issue. I think there may be a way to make an exception for kmttg or TiVo Desktop, but I don't use it. Their site may have more answers. You could always just remove it and use something else like Microsoft Security Essentials.

Assuming that you're running XP or later there's a utility called convert.exe built into Windows. If it's 95, 98 or ME it's time to buy a new PC. :D