Preparing to connect---forever

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ciscokid, Dec 9, 2020.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...

Advertisements

My Roamio is connect to my modem via ethernet. I rebooted it earlier today and now when I try to connect to the Tivo service, it goes into a Looooon "preparing to connect" mode but it never connects, hence I have missing guide data and missing recording info.

Any suggestions??

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Network Settings -> Network Troubleshooting -> Internet Connection

Same problem? Why no router?

3. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I tried everything/ Reboot Router, reboot tivi. Change from Ethernet to Wifi. Nothing worked! I then did some research and saw that it was an intermittent problem. So I figured that I would just LEAVE IT ALONE and lo & behold I turned on the Tivo about 2 hours later and everything was back to normal.

Oh and I have an xFinity router/modem unit combined.

4. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Glad to hear it. Assumed you had the combo modem/router. BTW, Xfinity charges about $15/mo + tax for that modem/router combo which is almost $200 per year! You can buy your own modem and router for less than that and eliminate years of rental fees going forward. An Arris/Motorola modem is a good choice coupled with a mesh router for great WiFi coverage is worthwhile investment. When you get the new modem you just call Xfinity and tell them that you have it, hook it up, plug in the router and after a few setup screens you'll be good to go. Comcast Xfinity Raises their Modem Rental Fee Again. Stop Paying it.

5. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...

Advertisements

Actually, Xfinity is included in my condo fee so I don't pay anything for their basic cable package, their modem/router, or three tv tuner boxes. I DO pay for internet access however and 5 bucks for a cable card for my Roamio..