Preparing the service update...this morning

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bobster954, Aug 20, 2011.

1. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    well, my 3rd day with tivo, and a nightmare. Woke up and turned on the tv at 7:15 am... 'preparing the service update' may take up to an hour, possibly longer.

After reading posts here, I rebooted, but it went right back to that screen.

Why in the world would the service update happen in the morning, god forbid I want to watch tv.

I don't hear the drive spinning, the fan blowing, nothing..nada.

I do not recall any setting about timing this at all...or turning it off. I would rather say 3am in the morning...or 'only when I want', not have it set to the morning when I watch....i dunno....TV!!!!

I kind of use the tv news and sports in the morning for my website, but not today.

How often does this thing just decide to take over your tivo? I can imagine it doing it during a hurricane coverage down here, or the superbowl...and there seems no way to make it stop...

and there is no 'progress bar'. How long does one wait til you give up and send it to service?

Great way to start the work day.....grrrrr.

Please tell me there is a way to suspend this from happening until I want it to. Or to at least time it to a different time....or set up a better time if it tries when I am watching tv.

frustrated.....fun until now.

an hour maybe longer? with no bar?

<facepalm>

2. marianajones

marianajones New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    This main problem of any working person nowadays.You just have to live with this rather than avoiding.

3. marianajones

marianajones New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    This is the main problem of any working person nowadays.You just have to live with this rather than avoiding.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    3rd day? Sounds about right. Your Tivo is updating it's software. Tivos don't come with the latest version of the software already installed. Usually, the 1st day a new Tivo downloads enough guide data to get you started. 2nd day Tivo downloads complete guide data. 3rd day Tivo downloads the latest software version. Since the software is needed for operation, the only thing you can do is let it complete the update.
    Normally, the software is supposed to update around 2-3 in the morning, however if your Tivo is recording something at that time, the update will be delayed.

You might be saying "But I didn't have any shows scheduled to record".
    The answer: Tivo may have been recording the Teleworld paid program at that time. The Teleworld program is how TiVo gets video clips to the DVR for Showcases and ads. This program does not show up in the My Shows list nor does it take up any user hard drive space.
    Go to Title Search and enter Teleworld paid program. Select the matching result and you will be able to see when this program airs.

5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    This explains why most every morning about 3AM my Premiere is recording the ION Network. Last night it was recording the Lincoln MKX Ad which I thought seemed odd. Now I know. I was going to post asking if ION TV was a guide data provider similar to TVGOS distributed through CBS and PBS.

Since it has an Ethernet connection, why does it need to download video data through a RF signal?
    This Ad delivery/recording method is probably old tech that was used prior to an always on internet connection and has never been revised.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    They have to maintain the current delivery method and its associated expenses to serve TiVos that aren't connected to the net anyway. Why should they develop an additional method?

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    1st call, Tivo downloads complete guide data and gives you access to a couple of days immediately to get started, but the rest of it takes time to become available because the Tivo is indexing everything. 2nd call, the Tivo downloads the latest software update if the Tivo doesn't already have it. At the next 2 a.m., the update is automatically installed. If it's delayed because of a recording, it will be delayed a full 24 hours. Updates automatically happen at 2 a.m. and only at 2 a.m. That said, you can manually restart the Tivo at any time to trigger the update installation.

If the OP's Tivo is in the process of updating at 7:15 a.m. there is clearly a problem because that means it's been in progress for over 5 hours and it does not take that long.

The Tivo is "broken" return/exchange it.
    Like I've already stated, a recording in progress will delay the update until the next 2 a.m. not just until the recording is done.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    So, if someone has a recording scheduled every day at 2AM, a service update will never get installed unless a manual restart is performed?

Unless the TiVo is still in that state when you return from work, don't return it for repair unless the System Info still says it is "pending restart".

9. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That can't be true. My TivoHD has installed updates before at around 7am and it's not "broken".

Try again. ;)

EDIT:
    From Tivo Support: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers...e install/session/L3NpZC9lODFkSDFDaw==#Update
    The first day, you are doing guided setup. 1st call: 1 day of guide data. 2nd call (first connection after guided setup) gets the rest of the program info. 3rd call (second connection after guided setup) gets the new software.

Also:
    Emphasis mine.

EDIT #2

I totally glossed over that Premieres are different:

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Something caused a "random" restart. Tivos have been known to randomly restart at any time for as long as they've been around.

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It had "random" restart just after it received a service update it needed to install. Riiight.

I have two questions for you. The first one is : On what are you basing these pronouncements?

The second question involves a point I brought up earlier: If someone has recordings scheduled such that the TiVo is always recording at 2AM, a very real possibility, absent a "random" restart or extended* power outage, how will a service update ever get installed?

*I say extended because you do have it hooked up to a UPS, right?

12. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hey, thanks for all the info..

Hopefully tivo will add some of your posts to their literature or sales explaining those first few days.

When I got home it was on normal and viewable.

makes one think what wonders will be next week, or next month, that is not included in the manual...

(at least, I did not see it in the manual...lol)

thanks, working fine now. Just frustrating

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yes, a kernel panic or a failure in tivoapp can cause a reboot. Note such things should not happen very often, but they do happen.

14. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Not on an unmodified unit, no.

15. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Software updates usually don't happen that often. At best, maybe every 6 months. Lately they seem far and few between.
    Keep an eye on the TCF forum specific to your model. Someone will post when they get a new software update. That will give you some heads up, unless you're one of the lucky ones who get the early release.

16. Grunchie

Grunchie Carpe diem jugulum

Jan 11, 2012
    Santa...
    My TiVo "Elite" allegedly the "Bugatti" of the TiVo line craps out at least 3 or 4 times a month. It either suddenly reboots or goes to a black screen necessitating my pulling the plug...killing all the recordings I have going at the time. And it takes FOREVER to re-boot. Now, same thing happened, had to pull the plug with 4 recordings going, and upon re-booting, the steaming pile gives me the joyous news that it is suddenly "preparing an update" that will take "at least" an hour just to prepare. I really like the "at least" part..."I just fried 4 of your recordings and now I think I will take at least an hour to be certain you will not see one minute of them". I am royally pissed.
    Never EVER had these kinds of issues with the Time Warner box...one more time and I'm leaving this frustration box out in the alley (despite $900 out the window on the thing...not worth the rise in blood pressure). By the way, it's 7:15 PM...not 2 AM when the updates are allegedly supposed to happen AND I had multiple recordings going. Crap Box.

17. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    People in Santa Monica: Be on the lookout for a free TiVo Premiere Elite!

18. Grunchie

Grunchie Carpe diem jugulum

Jan 11, 2012
    Santa...
    WITH lifetime service. Grrrr.