preparing the service update. this may take up to an hour, possibly longer

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sender_name, Sep 18, 2016.

1. sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    So my TIVO series 3 was supposed to record the NFL game at 1pm today but it was still doing the "preparing the service update. this may take up to an hour, possibly longer"

I have another tivo so I watched it in the livingroom...But it's now been 6+ hours and it's still showing that...How long does the service update take for a Series 3?

I didn't notice anything ever with my other S3...I don't even know if that one updated yet...

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Leave it overnight, this one isn't quick.
    If it's still saying it after 24 hours, I'd pull the plug and let it retry.

Keep in mind that if you haven't replaced the capacitors you may have other underlying issues adding to any problems.

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    One of my S2's recorded a scheduled program while preparing, so I assume a 3 would too.

4. sender_name

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    Ok...No bedroom tivo until at least tomorrow...It has a 500Gb in it...I just bought a 2TB to upgrade so if it's still hanging in the AM i'll swap the drive and go from there...It's been testy, but the power supply was a weakknees replacement for a bad caps one

5. sender_name

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    Sweet petunia...9 hours...It's back!

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may need to force a Tivo Service connection if it has no guide.

7. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Q and A from Tivo site- My Series 2, TiVo Series 3 HD, TiVo HD, TiVo HD XL is taking longer than I expected.

These TiVos will most likely take between 3 - 8 hours to to process the upgrade, but they may take up to 24 hours. If you've been experiencing symptoms longer than that, please contact TiVo Support.

8. fluffie

fluffie Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Boston, MA
    So I guess it's safe to say that I won't be watching anything tonight!

9. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, you'd think they'd do all of this BEFORE the new TV season started... summer rerun season is the perfect time to get all this sorted out without having added pressure of having to get the guide straightened out for the season openers.

10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    We had a saying about this:
    You don't test on race day!

11. fluffie

fluffie Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Boston, MA
    How does one "force a Tivo Service connection" on a "new" box that is not making it to any kind of meaningful menu after guided setup. Sorry if this is in a FAQ, I tried to search but found nothing. Still trying to get my TivoHD back up and running after installing new hard drive... 12 hours and still on the "Preparing the service update. This may take a crazy long time, possibly longer." At least I am past the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen.

12. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Did a 649 and a HD at same time today, checked at 4 hours the 649 was done and had connected the HD took another 2 hours.

13. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Many of the problems with One Pass data wouldn't show up then because the new episodes of the series would be more than two weeks away.

If they weren't ready for the conversion in September, they certainly weren't ready for it in August. And after September, there wouldn't be any more Gracenote data to send out. They had to fight the battle with the army they had.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That would be done after/if it comes back up.

15. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I guess the up date is why my Tivo HD didn't have a video signal over the weekend. I went to watch TV and no picture or audio from the Tivo. I had to unplug the Tivo and then plug it back in to get it back up and working after going thru the normal repowering boot. I also found that the guide info was gone and I had to force the Tivo to connect with the Tivo web site to get the info. Another thing that happened is some of the channels that I had turned off were turned back on again and I had to go thru the whole list and turn a lot of them back off.

16. fluffie

fluffie Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Finally got the TivoHD up by unplugging and trying again. This time I was finally able to watch live TV but not record. Error 51, so I did a clear and delete everything and now it is stuck on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..."

I found one thread where the person claimed to have fixed this, but the answer was never given.

I am also unable to get into kickstart mode, whether through ineptitude on my part or some other reason beyond my control.

17. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Try doing a power cycle if you are stuck on a screen. You might have to do more than one. ;)

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Keep in mind if you have questionable capacitors you'll have nothing but trouble trying to update.

19. fluffie

fluffie Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Boston, MA
    This is after replacing the power supply with one from Weaknees.

20. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Is it still not loading guide?