Premieres and MOCA installed with TWC So Cal

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by xberk, Dec 21, 2011.

1. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Ok. Finally. Got my two Premiere’s hooked up to Time Warner Cable So Cal. Install was bumpy. Took them 2 days. Mostly over the M-Cards not pairing up. But, even after they finally paired the M-Cards, still not done. Apparently, the tuning adapters have been entered into the wrong system. They tell me it will take a week to straighten out. A week? This sounds bogus to me. Meanwhile, I can see all channels except Switched Digitial ones, which are at least a third of our channels. ..

At first, the Tivos seemed a bit sluggish, but somehow they smoothed out. In addition to the two Premieres, we have one of the TWC DVR’s,( Motorola DCH3416 model with 160gig drive). I’ve haven't had a lot of time to play with this DVR (no user guide came with it) .. but so far .. I don’t like it. The features it DOESN”T have are legion. Nothing like a Tivo. Unless I’m doing something wrong, it has two tuners, but only one buffer. THe hard drive is way too small too .. I upgraded my Premiere's myself to 2TB, 300 hours .. that's more like it.

I installed my Netgear MCA1001 Coax Ethernet Adapters to network the Tivos (MOCA). My luck was good in that this works great in the two rooms where the TIVOS are located. In the other two rooms that I have Coax running with the cable signal, it will not hold the Internet long. I believe I need to upgrade the splitter in the cable box outside to 2ghz. Hopefully that will solve it. Where it works, it is strong and fast.

Sadly, I canceled Directv today. I really liked their service – but, in the end, I liked our TIVOs more (we've had Series 2 for 10 years) …likely tomorrow, I’ll opt for Lifetime on each of the Premieres. Makes sense to do it and if we want to make a change, we’ll have something of value to sell.

Thanks everyone here who helped me gather my forces for this upgrade to HD and new TIVOS adventure. It’s working out !!