Premiere4 problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jdanna, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jdanna

jdanna New Member

May 2, 2008

Advertisements

I've been a long time tivo user, and had a tivo HD for years. finally the HD kicked the bucket and about 6 months ago i got a premiere4, and honestly this piece of junk is about to go into the garbage.

even with all the claimed performance fixes and updates, this thing is UNGODLY slow. the menus just wait, the remote isnt responsive, and this new 20.3.8 update certainly didnt help anything.

using it with the HD menus is still absolutely painful.

now the 20.3.8 update includes a new netflix ui, and the "play from beginning" button when you select a title is gone. Is that hidden somewhere now that i dont know about?

sorry to just get on here and whine, i am just really frustrated and this close to taking a baseball bat to this piece of crap.

is the roamio fast? like actual, real, you press a button on the remote and it does it immediately fast? I'm thinking of buying one just to get this god awful slow piece of useless garbage out of my life, but i dont want to get burned again. i feel like they should have never released the premiere.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Do you still possess the S3 HD?

Exactly what were its symptoms when it went bad?

Contact me before you assault or landfill either one.

The good news is that buying a Roamio may give you the leverage to get $99 lifetime on the Premiere (or the HD if we can fix it), and that would make the Premiere attractive to buyers, and then it can be their problem.

3. jdanna

jdanna New Member

May 2, 2008
    The hd was just a disk failure. But it was years old, and i figured i would take the opportunity to upgrade to the premiere4. I was thinking 'oh wow, 4 tuners, hd ui, and im sure its faster!'

Boy was i wrong. The hdui is unusable, and even without it the box is stupidly slow. And I'm still really fumed about netflix loosing the 'watch from beginning' option.

So now im gonna probably end up getting the roamio just to have a tivo that is fast enough to use without wanting to smash my face into a wall.

End of the day its still better then a fios dvr. I just wish my hd had kept going 6 months more, and i could have skipped the premiere4 altogether. I cannot believe somebody at tivo actually used one of these boxes and said 'ok yea, lets sell this'.

4. jdanna

jdanna New Member

May 2, 2008
    The only thing stopping me from getting the roamio right now is that it is missing the component out unless i drop $400 on the plus. Right now i have 3 tvs, one premiere4, one tivo mini, and another tv thats fed from the component on the premiere4.

We never use the tv that has the mini, so i may just buy the roamio, and move the mini into the room i have using the component out.