Premiere XL4 for $279 at Fry's

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by reubanks, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Apr 5, 2013 #1 of 22
    reubanks

reubanks Member

Feb 19, 2006

Advertisements

Fry's is selling the Premiere XL4 for $279. The discounted price shows up once you place the Tivo into your cart. (You don't even have to go to "Final Checkout" to see the discount...)

http://www.frys.com/product/6913177?site=sa:adpages page:P6_FRI date:040513

Interesting!

2. Apr 5, 2013 #2 of 22
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Couple this sale with the recent Tivo promos on the XL4 seems to provide more support for new models later in the year. We know they've cleared out the 320 GB Premieres from the last round of promos, now looks like they're pushing to clear the XL4's, hopefully for the theoretical 6-tuner, 2TB model with updated processor we all dream of.

3. Apr 5, 2013 #3 of 22
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    This would be a really great deal if TiVo will discount the subscription cost too...

4. Apr 5, 2013 #4 of 22
    MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I guess I would still get a lifetime discount of $400 so price is $679 and it is on BO. Still it IS $129 more than the $550 P4 deal from TIVO. You do get a Glo remote, however. For about $90 I can upgrade myself and have a backup, although a truncated backup is just about ready. The Fry's site is confusing as at one point they say you can record 2 shows, but they now say 4 shows, and they do show the model number TCD758250

5. Apr 6, 2013 #5 of 22
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004

Advertisements

Well, I pulled the trigger and placed the order. I'm moving from a TiVoHD up to the XL4, so I'm looking forward to it.

"Available for Backorder" was the note on the order. No idea what that'll translate to in terms of a delay, but I can wait.

6. Apr 6, 2013 #6 of 22
    MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    One thing I had wondered about is if BestBuy would pricematch? My local BB has them in stock.

7. Apr 6, 2013 #7 of 22
    reubanks

reubanks Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Their website shows them as being in stock at every store in the country, (Including Wilsonville, Oregon...) but maybe not in the warehouse.

But since Best Buy claims to price match Fry's then by all means!

Randy

8. Apr 6, 2013 #8 of 22
    tlwizard

tlwizard New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Thanks!

Pricematched to Best Buy and used $275 in RZ certs to get it to $4.36 after tax.

This will be a temporary upgrade so I can use a mini until the new Tivos come out.

9. Apr 6, 2013 #9 of 22
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Considering the difference between shipping vs sales tax, I'll stay with my Frys order.

No Frys in NJ, so it's unlikely BB will price match, anyways.

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had one of my XL4's fail this weekend with an RF attenuation problem. Turns out the XL4 does have a Best Buy warranty but I wasn't aware of it until after I picked up another XL4 with the price match of Frye's $279. It took a while for the manager to approve since Frye's shows the Elite/XL4 as back-ordered at the present time. He finally agreed to match the price.

11. PaperFriend

PaperFriend Member

May 31, 2011
    Texas
    Bestbuy price matched for me.

12. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    What were the symptoms of the RF attenuation problem?

Wasn't the XL4 still under the TiVo warranty, or was this an older Elite w/o an extended warranty?

Did TiVo transfer the Lifetime service?

13. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The XL4 was macroblock/pixelating on a number of HD channels. I had Bright House Networks out to the house and they checked signal levels, replaced the CableCARD and Tuning Adapters with no relief. DVR Diagnostics on the XL4 were reporting Signal Strength in the 60's with SNR in the mid-20's. I was receiving a lot of RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors. The errors accompanied the macroblocking/pixelation. Finally, I wasn't able to receive a number of SDV channels at all. I never suspected it was an XL4 problem so I had BHN out to the house a total of three times. On the 3rd time I had them measure the signal strength going directly into the Coax input and their meter registered 37 dB while the XL4 registered 24 db. At that point, I decided it was probably a problem with the XL4 and I needed to try another box. I went to Best Buy and purchased the XL4 at the $279 price. After the long set-up process, the new XL4 registered signal strength in the 90's with SNR in the high 30's. Problem solved.

At the time I wasn't even sure if I purchased the extended warranty. I looked up my receipt on Best Buy reward zone and have confirmed that the XL4 was purchased on 5/6/2012 for $399.98 with the 4 Yr Extended Warranty for $69.99. The box is still in my trunk. I'm a bit confused as to whether I need to return it to TiVo at this point or Best Buy. Is the TiVo warranty one year or 90 days?

Once I get the replacement resolved I will transfer the lifetime service.

14. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    Nice deal, maybe I could get TIVO to match. I'm still in the 30 days honeymoon.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Frys.com is one of the online stores that BestBuy will price match.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment...ee/pcmcat297300050000.c?id=pcmcat297300050000
    I've used their pricematch policy many times already. Just about every purchase I make from BestBuy now, I price match to one of those online retailers. I just show a copy of the webpage with the price at the checkout counter, and it adds less than 30 seconds to the checkout time.

16. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    doesn't seem to show for me logging in.

17. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Is this Fry's deal OVER?

18. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004

Thanks. I wish I'd paid attention here and had seen this before the sale concluded. Price is back to normal, and I called Frys.com for any sort of update. They really didn't have one, and the rep commented that the last warehouse order for this unit was back in January(!). They will NOT pull a unit from a store to fulfill warehouse orders.

The only consolation is that they haven't charged my card yet.

And yes, MPSAN, apparently over.

19. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    With TiVo I believe it is 90 days parts and labor and 1 year warranty, but after 90 days you pay for repairs.

Best Buy is one time use replacement I believe and TiVo sends you a refurbished box so using the BB warranty later may be an issue if BB logged the TSN. If you can hold out till the new box is out, it might be your best bet. Since it is an Elite, I doubt they would know enough to tell you to take the XL4 if they even have them in stock at that point.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Best Buy tries to repair the TiVo first. If the TiVo is repaired then the warranty is still in force. If the unit can't be repaired and is replaced, then that is it for the warranty(this is the case with their other electronic extended warranties as well). With the extended warranty from TiVo, it will always be replaced so the warranty is always a one time use.