Premiere XL4 drive issue?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by doconeill, Mar 25, 2019.

1. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    So, we had a power blip this weekend, and since then the Premiere XL4 (TCD758250) reboots randomly - it will be working seemingly fine, but then you can hear what sounds like the hard drive seeking a LOT (it's perfectly quite before this), then stop for a few seconds, then do it again. It repeats this three times, and then shortly afterwards it will reboot with no indication of an error. During this time though, it stops responding to remote input, but continues showing live TV. After the reboot, it seems fine again.

I will do this randomly through the day - it did it three times in an hour this morning, but seemed relatively intact overnight.

Presumably the power hit may have corrupted something on the hard drive. I have a replacement (unformatted) 2TB WD Green AV drive on the way, but won't be able to do much work on it until later in the week.

I can try and copy (perhaps without programming) from the old drive since it does in fact boot, but in case that doesn't fly does someone still have compatible images available?

Any other diagnostics I might try?

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    There are a couple of forum members that should be along sometime today.
    They will send you a link to an image.

I had a hdd fail on my tivo 758250.
    I cloned the failing drive without success.
    Ended up installing a new image I got from ggieseke.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Image sent.

rdrrepair likes this.
  4. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    Thank you!

5. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    Finally got it rebuilt. I was able to take a truncated backup of the original, and I put the original back in in the hopes of transferring a few recordings off of it (which worked) but shortly after it rebooted again and this time went into a reboot loop off the Starting Up screen.

Restored the backup to the new drive, put it in - and oddly enough it did the same thing. So perhaps there was corruption in the OS area as well. So I restored the pristine image from ggieseke (again, thanks!), re-paired the cable card, and went through the long process of re-configuring everything. And I think I finally have a functioning Premiere again!

6. Apr 7, 2019 #6 of 20
    RetCGH

RetCGH New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I too am in need of Premiere XL4 (TCD758250). The exact same thing happened to me. The video playback was starting to freeze so I figured it was time to replace the hard drive but before the drive arrived I got hit with a power outage and now it just hangs on the "starting up" page. I did all the things TIVO support suggested to no avail. Looks like the OS is damaged. Will someone send an image? Thanks

7. Apr 7, 2019 #7 of 20
    ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Sent.

8. Philip Vetter

Philip Vetter New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Hi Ggieseke, I had a hdd fail on my tivo 758250 could you send me the image and how to get it on my new blank drive? Thanks

9. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Sent.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. Philip Vetter

Philip Vetter New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Hi Ggieseke, I took the image and restored it to the new hard drive. I guess I did it right but my unit is in a setup loop. I go through all the steps and it just returns me to the first startup screen. Did I do the restore wrong or is there something else wrong? I can go in the tuning adapter channel test and view some of the channels just fine.

11. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I think something changed on TiVo's end recently that is preventing units with software from before the changeover from Gracenote to Rovi data from updating. My TCD746320 image is on 20.7.4.RC42 and works fine, but my images for other models are much older and they all seem to stick in a setup loop.

If you press the Info button on the remote when it's at the first setup screen it should show the current software version. Can you post it and also confirm that the unit has an active service plan?

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You're probably right. The last two Roamio boxes I bought, one after TE4, both came with 20.7.3 which was post Rovi. There have been three posts on units being bricked with a CPI&TDL recently. It may not be related, but I'll vote for "something changed".

13. Philip Vetter

Philip Vetter New Member

Jan 27, 2020

14. Philip Vetter

Philip Vetter New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    the number is 20.4.1-01-2-758 The unit has a lifetime subscription.

15. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    20.4.1 is what I sent you, so it's not upgrading to the latest software automatically. You might try a kickstart 52 (emergency software reinstall).

TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last week when I bricked my TE3 Roamio I used virtually every KS code, including 52. Only the SMART test came up every time. I may try a few to see if it was me. I have a spare Roamio and a Premiere.

17. Philip Vetter

Philip Vetter New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Thanks ggieseke; I will try this later today.

18. Philip Vetter

Philip Vetter New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    I was having trouble getting the kickstart 52 to work so I ran the 54 hard drive test and after 7 hours all tests passed. I finally go t the 52 Emergency Software Reinstall to take and it stopped on gen07 tuner exerciser. I noticed the mode was set to NTSC and was wondering should it be set to qam256? - or does this just mean my tuners are bad?

19. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The Premiere XL4 doesn't have analog NTSC tuners.

20. Philip Vetter

Philip Vetter New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Weaknees says they can fix the rebooting problem with their image (for $95). I guess I will bite the bullet. Thanks for all of your help.