Premiere XL4-compare to Roamio Plus and Bolt+

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jastavoss, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jastavoss

jastavoss Member

Sep 15, 2012

Advertisements

I love everything about my XL4, but it is slow and getting old. How would these other 2 models differ, on these points:
    1.Recording-tuner lights on the front panel, 1 for each tuner.
    2.Programming interface. I know how to schedule programs on my XL4. Is this different on the other 2 models?
    3.Have to hook up to tuning adapter, with XL4.
    4.Have to hook up to router, with XL4.
    5.Would my XL4 remotes work on the other models?
    6. I use Tivo Desktop for transfers. It is slow, but it works. Does this work on the other 2 models? If so, faster?

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Everything is the same except for a couple of things. First, the xl4 is very slow with apps, painfully slow. Second, the xl4 doesn't have skip mode, a big plus on the newer boxes. Oh, the Plus/Pro has a red circle and arcs next to it to tell how many tuners are recording. A bit difficult to see the actual number.

I have a Roamio Plus and xl4. I plan on replacing the xl4 with a Bolt+ as soon as I can find a good deal. Bolt is a bit faster than the Roamio and has 4K.

NoVa likes this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Bolts use 2.5" drives not the usual 3.5" ones and there are not many good reliable drives if you want to upgrade.

4. jastavoss

jastavoss Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks. When you schedule tv programs, does it look different on the Roamio and Bolt?

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

I don't think the Bolt has a light for each tuner for showing recording status.

Scott

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Assuming you are using the HD interface on your Premiere it should look the same.

Scott

7. djones18

djones18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Last week I upgraded from an XL4 to a Bolt +, while keeping the XL4 working in another room. The lights on the front of the Bolt don't provide indications of each tuner being in record mode...just one red light. No big deal. The entire user interface on the Bolt has the same look and feel as the XL4 so not much learning curve here. One major improvement is the Bolt+ works much, much faster in every way and it's clearly evident in use. That means menu selection changes are almost instantaneous. In addition to what others say which I agree with, the Bolt + vastly speeds up access to streaming services, i.e., Netflix, Amazon, etc. Where the XL4 was almost unusable here because of its slow response the Bolt + operates as fast as my Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Apple TV devices. The Bolt also uses an RF remote control which means you don't have to point the remote directly at the Bolt. The Bolt can now be hidden behind a cabinet or shelf. The remote will still operate using IR direct line-of-sight if desired.

Adding the Bolt to my system enabled set up a MoCa network versus wireless for use with my TiVos. This is much faster than WiFi on my setup. I now can stream and transfer programs between these machines effortlessly at wired Ethernet connection speeds. I'm impressed with this feature.

Because of these factors I'm extremely pleased with the increased capabilities the Bolt brings to my system and happy I upgraded.

UCLABB likes this.
  8. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    do you have a best buy near to see a bolt in action?