Premiere XL4 Bricked by CPI&TDL

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BrooksP, Dec 22, 2020.

1. BrooksP

BrooksP New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Sterling, VA

Advertisements

TiVo tech support instructed me to use CPI&TDL to resolve a channel name/guide data error. After a day of waiting, I checked here and see that was a stairway to hell and the HD is now gone without losing all recorded programs.

I've ordered a replacement drive from Weaknees but wonder if the PC-based backup tools might still recover the programs for the old drive; i.e. was it only the 'system software' which was scrambled?

Since I have a 2-slot external Sata disk carrier, might I still be able to move the program files from the old drive to the new one much as if I was upgrading to a larger HD.

I've tried to read through some of the related threads on the forums here, but am not certain I understand the implications of the corruption of my old HD contents.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    KS57 has been known to recover a Premiere in that condition without loss of shows or OnePasses.

-KP

BrooksP and krkaufman like this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  4. BrooksP

BrooksP New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Sterling, VA
    Thanks. I had this page printed, but wasn't clear which KS codes were applicable or would be useful to my situation.
    I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. BrooksP

BrooksP New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Sterling, VA

Advertisements

Was able to use the the steps in the TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information. The indicators all seemed to respond as expect and, after what looked like a restart, the device displayed a warning on green background which reported a serious error had been found; that it was trying to repair it; and that it may take up to three a hours. We'll see how this goes.

Appreciate the tips that got me even to this stage.

BP

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. BrooksP

BrooksP New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Sterling, VA
    Thank you. thank you, thank you!

The disk repair required only about 45 minutes to complete (2TB hard drive), after which I was prompted to initiate a Service Connection. Once that was underway I could confirm that the recorded programs were intact.

BP

lyee, shwru980r and kpeters59 like this.