Premiere XL won't boot

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lkinley, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Jan 7, 2019 #1 of 11
    lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    I had my PXL turned off for a windstorm a couple weeks ago. I turned it back on yesterday but it won't boot.

Symptoms:
    With the original drive, it displays the starting screen, does the amber flashing lights, and a moment later the video turns off. It then resets and tries again. I cannot press pause and enter a code after the amber flashing light.

I cloned the drive to a working 1TB with ddrescue thinking it was a bad drive, but it still would not boot or let me enter a code. However, it does not restart and just hangs.

I then used the same working 1TB drive and restored an image obtained from ggieseke. This time it just hangs at the starting screen. If press pause and enter a code after the flashing amber, the blue light comes on and it does nothing else but display the starting screen.

Thinking the power supply may be at fault, I wired up a computer power supply but the behavior did not change.

I'm not sure what else to try now. Is it fixable?

2. Jan 8, 2019 #2 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Leave the TiVo power supply connected to the motherboard, and run only the hard drive off of the PC supply, and that will mean needing to use a known good SATA data cable between drive and motherboard. Turn on the PC supply first, then start the TiVo, then try it the other way around by turning on the TiVo supply first.

If the Premiere is like all the models before it, the first screen is on the motherboard, and the "just a few more minutes" screen is on the hard drive, so if you're getting the first screen but never a hint of the second one, something is interfering with motherboard/hard drive communication.

Make sure any drive used does not have Intellipark or PowerUpInStandby enabled.

3. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    That was one of the things I tried. It made no difference.

I can hear the drive being accessed during a certain time of the boot. I think it was before the yellow flashing light, but not sure now.

I think I'm going to have to get a serial cable constructed and enable serial console to figure this one out.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How do the caps on the TiVo power supply look? Any doming or bulging at all?

5. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    PS caps look fine. Voltages are dead on 5V, 12V.

It's crashing during the BCM7405 init:

saa7164: module loading
    saa7164: Found device irq=34
    saa7164: 0xd1000000-0xd13fffff (0x400000)
    saa7164_read_descriptors_locked: No firmware running!
    saa7164: Found 2 tuner path(s)
    saa7164: Currently running fw 0
    Loading output section drivers
    Loading bcm7405.ko
    nxp7164:downloading bootloader to device 82d27580
    saa7164: Uploading 130944 firmware bytes in 4096-byte chunks
    Loading tv_bcm7405.ko
    tv_bcmdriver_module_init(): --> tv_bcmdriver_glue_init()
    tv_bcmencryption_init
    tv_bcmhdcpkeys_init
    [HpkStateDaemon] current state 0, but setting PRODUCT_ROOT and SG_PREVIEW_SET is skipped?
    [HpkStateDaemon] initializing HPK library with PRODUCT_ROOT not being set!
    -*- Tid 488 waiting on shared locked lock "HpkStateDaemonSharedState_Sema" owner (HpkStateDaemon.C, 364) tid = 489, caller = (HpkStateDaemon.C, 815), timeout for 1 sec
    [bcm7405.ko] --- Updating RTS Settings !!!
    Powering down RFM core...
    Powering down soft modem core...
    NEXUS_Platform_P_InitPinmux(): is empty, should we even build /cde/hudson/workspace/b-tcdplatform-quattro-3-14-release-mips/s rcroot/broadcom/hpk/drivers/bcm7405/nexus/platforms/97405/src/nexus_platform_pinmux.c?
    -*- Tid 488 waiting on shared locked lock "HpkStateDaemonSharedState_Sema" owner (HpkStateDaemon.C, 364) tid = 489, caller = (HpkStateDaemon.C, 815), timeout for 2 sec
    -*- Tid 488 waiting on shared locked lock "HpkStateDaemonSharedState_Sema" owner (HpkStateDaemon.C, 364) tid = 489, caller = (HpkStateDaemon.C, 815), timeout for 4 sec
    -*- Tid 488 waiting on shared locked lock "HpkStateDaemonSharedState_Sema" owner (HpkStateDaemon.C, 364) tid = 489, caller = (HpkStateDaemon.C, 815), timeout for 8 sec
    -*- Tid 488 waiting on shared locked lock "HpkStateDaemonSharedState_Sema" owner (HpkStateDaemon.C, 364) tid = 489, caller = (HpkStateDaemon.C, 815), timeout for 16 sec
    -*- Tid 488 waiting on shared locked lock "HpkStateDaemonSharedState_Sema" owner (HpkStateDaemon.C, 364) tid = 489, caller = (HpkStateDaemon.C, 815), timeout for 32 sec
    -*- Tid 488 FAILED to get HPK lock "HpkStateDaemonSharedState_Sema", owner (HpkStateDaemon.C, 364) tid = 489, caller = (HpkStateDaemon.C, 815)
    assert: Tmk Assertion Failure:
    assert: HpkLock, line 364 ()
    assert: Signalling everybody to dump a backtrace!
    assert: kernel CRASHALLASSRT will trigger reboot

6. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
  7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

We need to put you to work on the S3 flashing green led problem. Got a hair dryer? :D

8. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    What problem does that indicate or is it unknown? I have a retired OLED S3 sitting right here for parts...

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The flashing green LED problem is, as far as I know, not a problem of the first Series 3, the 648, but of the next two, the 652/658 HD/HD XL units

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The flashing green LED problem is, as far as I know, not a problem of the first Series 3, the 648, but of the next two, the 652/658 HD/HD XL units

11. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    I read through the thread over on the S3 forum. If it is not a solder joint problem on a chip, it may be a problem between layers in the board.

I'm going to try the hairdryer trick on my PXL and see if that affects anything.