Premiere XL with pixelation

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kirk1701, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hey everyone,
    Sorry I haven't been around but I haven't had problem one so thats a good thing right :up:

Til now, or shall I say more like this started in February or March and I didn't make the connection; I thought it was the TV.

We'll the fall season just started and got me to thinking so I switched to a different source and watched a little TV straight off the TV not through the Tivo and I didn't see the problem so wondering if this is a known issue?

What I'm seeing is pixelation or moving images that get blurred and its not on all shows, not all the time and only on whats in focus and moving when it does happen. Not even sure if you would call it pixelation or just blurriness of moving image that is in focus and it don't have to be fast moving image like a race car to happen. It can be something as simple as a police car pulling up to a stop light or dancers on a stage as they move. It seems like its only certain shows too.

I hope this is a decent description of what I'm trying to describe?

Hoping this is a known issue just so I know its not my tivo alone.

Thanks in advance. :D

2. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Bump

You guys overlook me? :D

3. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Try changing the coax cable going into the TiVo and change to a known good HDMI. It that does not resolve it, call TiVo customer support.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    No, just nobody knows what you are talking about. "Pixelization" is well known, and it is due to a breakup of the digital signal. "blurriness of moving image that is in focus" doesn't really compute. It is probably still just breakup of the signal.

So all the standard stuff applies- check your antenna, cables, signal strength, etc.

5. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Thanks guys, will first try the coax cable which is the easiest and cheapest to fix. Short of that not working I'll swap the HDMI cable and post back.

Give me a few days and that don't work I'll try to get a pic to post of what I'm talking about to clearify.

6. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hey everyone, ok first off here's a video clip of what I'm seeing:
    Notice the tree's as the camera moves ever so slightly

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlo-hxxvmr0[/media]

Tonight, seen the issue again on the amazing race as there is a lot of fast moving parts to that show (which I don't watch I was just looking for the issue) and showed up quit frequently. This was with the TV cable plugged directly into the Tivo.

Next step was different HDMI cable like discussed above, no difference.

I flipped over to the TV source bypassing the Tivo and tried watching the amazing race there and guess what? Its not the tivo afterall, I'm seeing it straight in to the TV so my next question is this poor signal or problem with the set?

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Unfortunately, the resolution and bitrate are so low, I can't really see what you are talking about. If it is what I think it is, it is typical mpeg type breakup due to loss of signal data.

8. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    So, call the cable co?

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I would. But know that it might cost you money if they find nothing wrong. It could very well be your inside cable wiring.

I know when I had pixelation, I checked the signal on my cable modem using its built-in monitor page (192.168.100.1) and discovered my signal was waaaaaaaay too weak (-19 or more), totally out of spec and had been for a long time. The signal level reported by the TiVo was low too also). Of course the cable company (Cox) tried to blame it on my cables and inside wiring, etc, which I knew it was not (because all my stuff is super high grade, I have only a single drop, only a single splitter- provided BY COX, because I changed nothing and had no problems previously for years, and because my neighbor had the same problems and on the same pole).

Turns out there was water inside the sealed "tap" on the pole. They EVENTUALLY (after repeated calls and trips) replaced the tap and my signal jumped 14 dB! All the video issues ended right then and there.

10. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    I think you hit the nail on the head dude and struck a memory too; recall I said this all started in March. I was remodeling a room in February and one of the things I did "inside wiring" was to relocate a cable and make it neat (wall jack). I put a splitter in the attic to do this and didn't think anything more about it. Only thing is I don't think this cable involved the main line nor the cable going to my room but none the less I'll have insight check it too. This particular cable was going to one wall so I cut it, put a splitter in at that point and left the cable on the wall it was at and run another cable from the splitter to another wall.

My cable company (insight) is not like cox, I could call them out 5 times a week no charge, they even came out and paired my cable card when I cleared and deleted everything off the tivo a couple a times. :D

I'll call insight today and have then come check it out and go from there, let you know.

Thanks

11. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hey guys, just thought I'd post up my results so far, more troubleshooting and called the cable Co with an appointment tomorrow. However I think I can cancel when they call to give a time on when they will be here.

Something the lady said when I called to schedule, about the splitter I have running from the main line up to the Tivo and the other directly to the TV. So just so I covered all the bases I changed that splitter, now shows that already recorded I didn't see the pixelation as bad, shows that I have recorded since I changed the splitter I don't see the problem at all but I only watched one 1 hour show but that was enough to tell the splitter has probably been going bad for a while now.

Thanks for the help everyone
    Joe

12. thecatsandi

thecatsandi New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Northern...
    Pixelation can be a sign of bad sectors on the hard drive. I was looking for a way to have the TiVo check the hard drive for bad information.

Michelle Tivo Primere XL