Premiere XL Stuck Clearing & Deleting

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dave235, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Dave235

Dave235 New Member

Sep 26, 2016

Advertisements

Four days ago, my Premiere XL with Lifetime Service began saying it was not authorized and the only functionality it allowed was watching previously recorded shows and watching live TV with no 30 minute buffer. After many forced connections (all of which succeeded) and many power cycle reboots, as instructed on three different calls to Tivo support, the problem persisted. While talking to Tivo support, I noticed a strange software version number (which I unfortunately didn’t write down). Two Tivo agents told me they had never seen that version either and they told me my Premiere XL had been on the proper 20.6.1a version just prior to when my problems started.

Tivo support instructed me to perform a Clear & Delete Everything. I did this over 27 hours ago and the “Clearing and Deleting… may take one hour…” screen has been displayed ever since. I have been patient and done nothing else since, but I suspect it is not going to progress further.

Any suggestions on what my next steps should be to bring my Premiere XL, which had been functioning perfectly prior to four days ago, back to life?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a Premiere. The Clear To Do List and Program Information takes about 3 hours. I don't think you have anything to lose by pulling the plug for 30 seconds.

3. Dave235

Dave235 New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    No progress after the following actions:

1. Called Tivo support who said only thing is to exchange box at a cost that means I have to virtually repurchase my Lifetime Support. I verified that they recorded the following software version on my box:

b-tcdclient-20-6-1-mr/2016-08-09-1117

Of course they still did not recognize it and had no idea how it got there. They also reconfirmed that the proper software was on my box as of 9/22/2016.

2. After having been stuck on the C&DE screen for over 30 hours, I pulled plug, reapplied power, got the first two screens (Welcome and Almost There), and then back to the Clearing and Deleting Everything... screen.

3. I pulled the plug again and ran Kickstart 54 Hard Drive Test. It ran and passed all the SMART tests. It took a long time (over night) but each test completed in roughly the amount of time it estimated.

4. I pulled the plug again and restarted. As in #2 above, I'm back at the C&DE screen.

Any suggestions for next steps? Try other Kickstart codes? Get a new drive (like from Weaknees)? Get a new drive and image it?

Thanks for any advice.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would copy & paste your problem into the Premiere forum. I have a basic Premiere and your software version must be unique to the XL. Perhaps another XL owner can verify your software version. Sorry.

5. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002

Advertisements

Tivo may have bricked your box by sending it the wrong software. There have been other reports of this. They are going by the ESN number to determine what software gets sent to your box, and there are mistakes being made. Usually it's the Mini software that is sent to an older DVR.

Since they bricked it, they should repair it for free. But since there's no conclusive proof of that, I'm sure Tivo is not going to do that.

If you repair it yourself, make sure you backup that image and confirm with Tivo that your ESN is tied to a Premiere. Otherwise you'll just encounter the same problem again.

Whatever you do, don't PM this guy. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=388695 ;)

6. Dave235

Dave235 New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Thanks, Bob. I agree that the software they sent is most likely the root cause and that they should repair it for free; but this hasn't gained traction with the four agents I've spoken with, even though they agree the software version isn't correct and changed only days ago. They also say everything about my account is correct.

FWIW, which may be nothing, this unit shows up in my Tivo account screen as "HD Tivo Premier" with the correct serial number and indicating it is "Premiere 1000hr". Does this indicate it should be getting the correct software, or are there other things I should confirm with them?

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    A couple of years ago I had what appeared to be a software problem. Long story short, when a software update came out and the old was replaced, everything was good again. A new update is imminent so that may fix things for you.

8. Dave235

Dave235 New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Because I hate threads that fade away with no conclusion, I thought I'd report back on where this stands... I have had no success. Following the instructions of six different Tivo tech support agents, including Clear & Delete Everything and Kickstart 57 did not resolve the problem and left the box cycling from boot to the GSOD before restarting itself and repeating about every seven minutes. Independently, I tried Kickstart 58 and 56 to no avail. I also ran Kickstart 54 full disk diagnostics and the drive manufacturer extended diagnostics against the hard drive, and both passed without any errors. Tivo's only alternative at this point is to exchange the box at considerable cost to me.

When time allows, I will try imaging a new disk to see if I can bring my lifetime service Premiere XL back to life.

9. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    You may want to try calling TiVo Exec Customer Relations - 877-561-4567 - and explaining the situation - I have found them to be very helpful, understanding and responsive.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If that happens, I'm sending you a PM.

11. mailbotx

mailbotx New Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi, was getting ready to sell my Tivo Premier and thought I was doing the right thing to clearing and deleting, but it got stuck. No amount of reboot, restart worked. However, once I did the Kickstart 57, got the green screen, it rebooted a few times - success. Platform: Series4 Software Version: 20.7.4b.RC3-746-2-746. Wanted to let this community know of my success and thank everybody here.

kpeters59 likes this.