Premiere XL spontaneous Reboots w/hardwire Ethernet

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Austin Bike, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    My Premiere XL spontaneously reboots when connected to hardwire Ethernet only. If I use the Tivo wireless N adapter (which also plugs into the same Ethernet port, there is never a problem.

The reboots happen no matter where I move the Tivo so it is not a network port (on my network) or an Ethernet cable issue.

Any thoughts?

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Over the years, I've have experienced weird networking occurrences that were fixed by replacing the router.
    This made me question: do routers "wear out"?
    The very next week on "The Tech Guy" show (Leo Laporte.)
    He stated that "YES" routers do wear out.

So, I would remove the router from the problem by connecting TiVo to the internet modem.

3. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    The router does not matter. I have seen this issue over 6 different routers (I am in networking so I change equipment regularly). This problem is ongoing, it works fine wirelessly but I would prefer it to be hardwired for a variety of reasons. About every 6 months I try it again to see if somehow a software update has fixed the issue, but every time I try, again, it goes through the reboot cycles.

I cannot connect the TiVo directly to the cable modem because I can't afford to disconnect the rest of the network.

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    FYI: My 748 TiVo Premiere XL has been working fine for years using the wired network, i'm using an inexpensive Linksys / Cisco router.
    I also prefer using hardwired.

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    What you don't say is if you lose network connectivity after the XL reboots or does it continuously reboot with the Ethernet connected, or does it appear the Ethernet port on the XL is DEAD?
    Other thought....I doubt that a USB to Ethernet adapter would work as there is no network conductivity via the Tivo's USB ports as far as I know, but I don't know for sure.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sure you use the best cables to your router. Have you tried a cheap 4-wire CAT-3 cable or even a CAT-4 cable? I'm pretty sure the TiVo wireless-N doesn't use a CAT-5e connection. and you posted it works.

A TiVo wireless G should work on a Premiere. I remember testing one years ago and it was on a Premiere. I even have a post-it indicating the VID is 0BDA and the PID is 8811/8812.

8. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Yes, it reboots goes back to normal, then reboots over and over again. Endless cycle.

Good Cat6 cables.

9. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
  10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I just connected the adapter to my win7 computer and it is plug & play.
    Connecting to tivo it does not work, least the Giga branded one I have...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  11. peasant

peasant New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    I just started having same problem... if I have an ethernet cable plugged in, it restarts. This all started months ago... it'd periodically not be able to connect due to not being able to find a server, then it would try to connect but fail, now it can't even have an ethernet cable plugged in. UGH. I'll probably send it to Weaknees and hope they can figure out what's wrong and fix it.

I'd rather buy a new Bolt OTA, but I won't because I don't use wifi, and there's no way to shut off the wifi ... I can turn it "off" via the settings menu, but it may still be transmitting anyway, so I won't buy one unless I can figure out a way to "kill" the wifi permanently.

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Back up your shows, OnePasses, Thumbs and Channels with KMTTG and try a Clear and Delete Everything first, before you send it off?

Maybe even do a Kickstart 52 before that, too?

-KP

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You may want check in the Bolt forum, but once you connect an Ethernet cable into a basic Roamio the WiFi is disabled. There is a screen message also, indicating that you must remove the Ethernet to allow wireless. My router shows all devices, and the wireless stops when the wired is enabled.

14. peasant

peasant New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    I never heard of this kickstart before, thanks for the info. I'll probably try that.

15. peasant

peasant New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Thanks for the info. Are you sure the wifi stops transmitting though? Maybe it doesn't show up in your router's list of devices, but it may still be doing something weird.
    Also, I'm not sure I want to buy a used/refurbished Roamio, compared to a brand new Bolt.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    :) My Roku remote shows up on my list of devices sometimes. But I don't have a Bolt.

Look at the Roamio forum. Look at the Bolt forum. Compare & contrast, then decide.

17. Dave Math

Dave Math New Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Yes, the TiVo devices with Ethernet turn off the WiFi when plugged in. Everything except Sonos, which builds their own network does this.

If yours has lifetime and you want want to sell your S4 let me know! I have a bolt too, and they are much faster and offer more streaming. But I like the S4 in a rack better.

18. peasant

peasant New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Update: I tried some "kickstart's":
    52--reinstall OS [no download, used one has on disk]
    57--file system repair
    54-- hard drive tests, 3 tests passed, I cancelled the "extended" test because it's ~162 minutes long.

I decided not to send the unit to weaknees for repair because via email they told me they weren't sure what the problem was so they'd have to diagnose it, and it could be inexpensive or up to ~$300 max depending on what was wrong. So I'll either buy a new bolt (~$185) or just have no DVR for now.

19. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    This rebooting while connected to internet seems to be developing as a problem, and not just Premiere. What you could try is get an image, put it on a new drive and go from there. Assuming you don't mind losing recordings and redoing all settings/passes. There might be a way to use it as is but a real pain. Unplug, plug back in. When it finishes rebooting connect to the Tivo service. Wait until it finishes downloading and disconnects. Then unplug the ethernet cable. With mine if I leave the ethernet cable plugged while it is doing the actual load it will reboot. But if I unplug the load will finish. So get the latest guide data at least. You would be able to record and watch your shows. Some functions will not work unless connected to the net of course. You could perform this process every week or so to keep guide data fairly current. Assuming yours does not reboot IMMEDIATELY, mine I've got a few mins before it does. Best solution would be to try the image and another drive though IMO.