Premiere XL spontaneous Reboots w/hardwire Ethernet

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Austin Bike, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    My Premiere XL spontaneously reboots when connected to hardwire Ethernet only. If I use the Tivo wireless N adapter (which also plugs into the same Ethernet port, there is never a problem.

The reboots happen no matter where I move the Tivo so it is not a network port (on my network) or an Ethernet cable issue.

Any thoughts?

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Over the years, I've have experienced weird networking occurrences that were fixed by replacing the router.
    This made me question: do routers "wear out"?
    The very next week on "The Tech Guy" show (Leo Laporte.)
    He stated that "YES" routers do wear out.

So, I would remove the router from the problem by connecting TiVo to the internet modem.

3. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    The router does not matter. I have seen this issue over 6 different routers (I am in networking so I change equipment regularly). This problem is ongoing, it works fine wirelessly but I would prefer it to be hardwired for a variety of reasons. About every 6 months I try it again to see if somehow a software update has fixed the issue, but every time I try, again, it goes through the reboot cycles.

I cannot connect the TiVo directly to the cable modem because I can't afford to disconnect the rest of the network.

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    FYI: My 748 TiVo Premiere XL has been working fine for years using the wired network, i'm using an inexpensive Linksys / Cisco router.
    I also prefer using hardwired.

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    What you don't say is if you lose network connectivity after the XL reboots or does it continuously reboot with the Ethernet connected, or does it appear the Ethernet port on the XL is DEAD?
    Other thought....I doubt that a USB to Ethernet adapter would work as there is no network conductivity via the Tivo's USB ports as far as I know, but I don't know for sure.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sure you use the best cables to your router. Have you tried a cheap 4-wire CAT-3 cable or even a CAT-4 cable? I'm pretty sure the TiVo wireless-N doesn't use a CAT-5e connection. and you posted it works.

A TiVo wireless G should work on a Premiere. I remember testing one years ago and it was on a Premiere. I even have a post-it indicating the VID is 0BDA and the PID is 8811/8812.

8. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Yes, it reboots goes back to normal, then reboots over and over again. Endless cycle.

Good Cat6 cables.

9. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
  10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I just connected the adapter to my win7 computer and it is plug & play.
    Connecting to tivo it does not work, least the Giga branded one I have...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019