Premiere XL "Make ready for re-sale"?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by WVZR1, Dec 14, 2011.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I need to make my Premiere XL ready for "re-sale". How do I prepare it with out losing the THX Optimizer etc. I seem to recall reading that a "clear and delete" removes that also.

If it makes a difference it's leaving Comcast service and heading towards FIOS!

Hard-drive is at 87% and it's still on 14.8

Thanks
    -Dave

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Well, you can do the other two "Clears" -- "Thumb Ratings & Suggestions" and "program information & To Do List" -- and manually delete everything from the Now Playing List, and then empty the Recently Deleted folder. (Actually, clear out the NPL before the To Do list, so the deleted shows hopefully (?) won't appear under "View Recording History" in the To Do List after you Clear it.) That's probably enough?

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The two I recently sold, I only removed the season passes. I left all the programs on it and removed the cable card. Since the cable card is removed, when it boots up again it will ask to go through the guided setup again.
    This was the least work for me. I figure the new users might want to watch some of the programming I've recorded. If not then they can always delete it.

Although I didn't think about deleting the Thumb ratings and suggestions. I probably should have done that too.

4. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Oh yeah, the Season Passes and Wishlists! I left those out.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you have nothing to be ashamed about or illegal stuff on your TiVo why do anything, just let the buyer take care of things as your not selling this TiVo as new.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I called TiVo to do the Elite buy and asked support before I had seen a response . They advised me that the "clear & delete" is NOT meant to remove the THX etc.

They flagged my account with a note that IF it did they would exchange the box. Something near 2 hours 15 minutes into the project "WELCOME" appeared with the choice of US or Canada. I handed it over to the new owner like that.

There certainly wasn't any content that I was concerned about and the buyer has never had a TiVo. I thought it maybe the "thing to do" - "an out of the box" experience!!

If it's "true" - "out of the box experience" would you think it likely that it might "look for" the most recent updates?

7. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    The C&DE won't downgrade the software. I'm not too convinced that it won't delete the THX film, but it's too late to worry about that now. :)

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I can't speak for the Elite but the THX file goes away on the TPXL for sure.