Premiere won't "recognize" Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by michaelj3, Sep 29, 2011.

1. michaelj3

michaelj3 New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Tuning Adaptors, TiVo Premier and TiVo HD
    Options
    09-28-2011 02:45 PM

All,*
    Had Motorloa MTR700's brought over to house today in response to letter from Charter.* SDV coming onlline in my market Oct 11, as reported by Charter Tech.* I am having issues getting the Premier to "recognize" the Tuning Adaptor is connected.* Below documents the debug I did with the charter Tech who came to my house today.* If anyone has more ideas, let me know.* It is difficult for me to believe I have an issue w/ any Hardware here, so hoping its a software or some other issue.* Anyone care to venture a guess?

I called in to TiVo Tech support when the Charter Tech was here.* We reported my issue, and apparently Tech Support thinks I have a bad Premiere box, but I am not convinced.* Actually, I am pretty convinced it is NOT bad Hardware, but not sure how to fix.

Here is a description of the issue:

0)* On each of my 3 TiVo's, the Tech Connected Splitter inline with the cable input, sent one side of the Cable to the TiVo, the other side to the RF IN of the Tuning Adaptor, connected power adaptor of tuning adaptor to wall
    1)* Then plugged USB Cable from TiVo to Tuning Adaptor (one on each of my 3 TiVo's)
    2)* Each TiVo presented us with a "A tuning adapter is connected" screen.
    3)* Charter Tech called into home office to provision the TA's on my account, from their perspective, all TA's visible and functioning within 5 minutes of plugging all in
    4)* Sometime between when the TA was connected to the Premiere and 5 minutes after the tech called in to Charter, the Premiere presented a screen that said (and I am trying to remember here) "A tuning Adapter has been Disconnected" and there was a graphic on how to connect the adapter to the TiVo. There was a "continue" button at the bottom of the screen, we hit it.* After this, the TiVo Premire would not recognize the TA, regardless of the reboot attempts on the TiVo, replugs of the USB cable, power cycle of the TA, etc.

To debug this further, we moved one of the TA's from the TiVo HD's that are properly communicating with the TA (usb Cable and all), and connected it to the Premiere.* Premiere failed to recognize this TA either.* We put the previously unrecognized TA onto one of the TiVo HD's, it was recognized there.* This made us think the issue is with the Premiere, not the TA.*

Then, I moved a known good TiVo wireless internet adapter from my TiVo HD to the Premiere, tried it in BOTH USB ports on the Premiere, and it was recognized and functional on the Premiere in both USB ports.* This validates that the USB ports on the Premiere are good.

So, TA known good (works on TiVo HD)
    USB on Priemiere known good (works with TiVo wireless internet adapter).

What could possibly be left?

Call to TiVo tech support, told them same thing, they said only thing they can do at this point is to replace the Premiere.

Ok, this is no $$ out of my pocket, but really makes no sense.* And, frankly, replacing TiVo's all the time is NOT convenient.

1)* Lose all our shows which are recored
    2)* Must have cable company come out to re-install the cable card in the new TiVo.
    3)* Shipping time is long.

I have to believe there is some sort of a microcode issue in the Premiere, it somehow lost track of the Tuning Adaptor, needs a reset, or something.* Or, maybe the Premiere treats tuning adaptors connected but SDV not ON differently than the TiVo HD boxes.* Can you help me? *
    Right now this is not an issue, but it will be on Oct 11 when SDV gets turned on.*

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    First of all your TA is hooked up incorrectly. Coax from wall should go into TA and then out from TA to Cable in on Tivo.

3. michaelj3

michaelj3 New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Charter tech says he hooked it up according to Charter's instructions.

4. michaelj3

michaelj3 New Member

Mar 11, 2010
  5. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
  6. michaelj3

michaelj3 New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Ok. I did try it using the RF passthrough in the TA and still have same issue. Besides, it works on my TiVo HD's as I said in original post.

7. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    If it won't recognize any TA after multiple reboots of both TA and Tivo, exchange time, bud. Not a code issue as there would be tons more people posting on here describing issues similar to yours if it were indeed a software bug.

8. michaelj3

michaelj3 New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Well, the only other thing I can think of is that since the SDV is not "turned on" by Charter yet, maybe the premier deals w/ this lack of channel map differently than the HD does, and the TA will show up once the SDV is enabled by Charter?

I guess the question is, if one connects a TA to a Premier, but SDV is not on, should I expect the Premier to recognize the TA, or not until the SDV gets active? Net, should I replace my Premier NOW, or wait till SDV actually is ON before I do?

9. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Hmm. Good question. If that were the case, why did the Premiere detect it in the first place? Guess you'll just have to wait and see what happens.

10. michaelj3

michaelj3 New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Might explain what we saw in 4??

11. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    What I mean is, why would they code the software to recognize the TA first AND THEN deactivate it as opposed to not detecting it at all unless SDV has been implemented. Doesn't really make sense but Tivo has done stranger things.

12. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I had a different issue. The Premiere would only see the Tuning Adapter when it was off. Turning the adapter on would cause the Tivo to display that the Tuning Adapter was not connected.

I took the swap offer and haven't looked back.

13. michaelj3

michaelj3 New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Well, Charter switched on SDV last week while I was out of town (flashing yellow LED on tuning adaptor now on solid). TiVo pre mire now recognizes the TA. I can't explain it, but that is what happened.

14. rmorton0573

rmorton0573 Barney Fife, my Hero

Mar 1, 2008
    Cameron, NC
    Sorry to bring up an old post but I was having the same issue with Charter when they installed my tuning adapters today this is what I posted on their FB Page...

(You guys should really train your 3rd party techs how to install tuning adapters. I got a letter in the mail Saturday that said I need tuning adapters for my 3 Tivo units, installed by Jan 9th 2012. I called and made an appointment and they came out today (Prince Telecom) to do the install. My first problem was when I called Saturday I told the rep I had 3 Tivo's but she put in the work order that I required only one tuning adapter, so the tech had to call and have someone bring him 2 more tuning adapters. After they were installed, and he called to activate them the tech thought they were not working correctly because the amber light would not stop flashing. I told them they were flashing because Switched Digital Video had not yet been turned on, and they would stop flashing in a few weeks when it was turned on in my area, well he did not agree with me and continued to waste 2 more hours of my time, by calling his supervisor. At the time I was calling Charter to confirm this with him, but he became impatient, and irritated and was starting to get rude, so I told him he could go. He was going to take the tuning adapters with him, but I told him no to leave them because they were installed correctly, He left and I did confirm with Charter that they were flashing in fact because Switched Digital was not on in the area yet (I know my Tech). I then got a call from Charter and they told me the tech reported to his Supervisor That I was rude and kicked him out, and refused to let him take the tuning adapters back with him. I was not rude to him, he just did not know what he was doing, even though he done it all correctly. Like I said these 3rd party tech's need more training on this issue. At least the adapters are in place and I am ready for SDV).

So to sum up, Charter did state that the Tuning Adapters will Flash until Switched Digital Video is turned on here, and I called Tivo to find out why My premier did not see the TA. the Tivo tech was very knowledgeable, and said the premier software was a little different and the reason it shows no TA after the TA was activated was because there was no SDV going to it yet, and when it was turned on in my area the TA would show back up on my premier, anyway after this big hoo doo this morning I found this post. Wish I would have found it first :)