Premiere with MoCA and Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by donnoh, Oct 25, 2011.

1. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I just received the dreaded letter from Charter informing me that due to a system upgrade I will need a tuning adapter. I have both of my Premiere's connected to my network through MoCA adapters made by Actiontec.

Is anyone else using these MoCA adapters with a tuning adapter successfully and in what order do you have them connected?

Thanks.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, I have both Tuning Adapters and MoCA adapters in use with my TiVos. From wall coax goes through 2-way splitter with 1 split going to MoCA box and the other to TA. I then use the Moto TA RF pass-thru to connect to the TiVo cable input. i.e.
    Code:
         MoCA
          |
    WALL--X (2-way splitter)
          |
          TA
          |
         TiVo

3. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Thanks! I guess I need to buy a couple of splitters.

The spaghetti of cables in my entertainment center continues. Between coax cables, Ethernet cables, USB cables, power cables and various and sundry black boxes it's becoming quite intimidating.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Charter should bring splitters as this is how they are trained to install tuning adapters anyway (and not use the coax out of the TA).

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    How many splitters is too many? My house is gigantic and has gone through two substantial construction additions. I honestly have no idea how many splitters I may have in my walls. I tried to figure out the cable configuration but it's impossible. I have a cable that runs from the ONT straight down a wall......back up the same wall and then connected to a splitter. I am not sure where it goes from there.

I am attempting to play around with a MoCa setup for my entire house. My first attempt gave me speeds so slow that I was unable stream youtube on a PC. I have a feeling there may be many splitters running through my walls.

6. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I had an interesting conversation with Charter today when I called to get a couple of tuning adapters for my Premieres.

While the early part of the conversation revolved around whether I wanted to pick them up myself and install them myself (I opted for them to do it) he eventually got around to trying to sell me more service.

What the rep stated was that Charter was going to crush the competition by offering 4 tuner Tivos starting early next year. I thought it was quite humorous that he was offering a Tivo customer a Tivo next year when I can buy one now with 4 times the disk space. Maybe Tivo is on the right track by selling to cable companies after all.

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Depends on how many splits you have off any given feed. Also -an amp anywhere in the system or older splitters that don't handle the entire frequency range could be interfere with MoCA use.

Try running a test from a leg of a direct 2 way split (with a high frequency splitter).