Premiere with Audio Issues After 14.8

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by 36446, May 26, 2011.

1. 36446

36446 New Member

May 19, 2011

Advertisements

I noticed after the update i had a loud buzzing sound on my premiere over speakers and i changed the audio settings to PCM and it fixed it.

Settings & Messages & > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital

Hope this helps anyone else

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've had audio issues as well. The boop sounds don't work right at all for analog recordings. I also had a situation a couple days ago where all audio sounded garbled. I switched to another TiVo and then back and all the sudden it started working again. I think there is some sort of issue with the new software and sending sounds over HDMI.

Dan

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I happens over digital optical out too. The bug is not new to 14.8 but it does crop up in different locations and more frequently. I usually just go to live tv and then back to what I was doing.

4. 36446

36446 New Member

May 19, 2011
    TiVo is requesting the TV Brand and Model numbers so they are get this issue fixed. If you have this issue please call them up and submit that info so it's fixed.

5. alarson83

alarson83 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    West Des...

Advertisements

I just noticed, all tivo sound effects not working, including when im going through my tivo suggestions and thumbs-downing shows.

6. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    We lost fast forward/rewind bloops on the Onkyo TC-NR808 receiver-connected Premiere. Very annoying.

7. take5

take5 New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    I guess 14.8 happened to us. My wife pressed the TiVo button, and the unit played the "reboot video". We had no message whatsover telling us "you just got an upgrade ... here's what just happenned ... here how it's different ...". Nothing.

I don't know how many bugs there are, but what I miss most is the "medium" fast forward noise. The slow (low) sound works. Then you press the button again and get silence, even though the medium fast forward has taken effect. . Then you press a third time and get the fastest fast-forward and the highest sound.

8. Spellman

Spellman New Member

May 29, 2011
    I have been reading all the negative comments since getting a Tivo. Fortunately, I was not experiencing the problems that so many indicated. I had an infrequent Tivo not responding to remote or a couple reboots over 6 months.

Now, both of my units are having problems. One has rebooted every night/day since the update. The other is experiencing problems with responding to the remote.

I guess I am now one of the angry.

Last night, I was watching Apocalypse Now -- about 1 1/2 hours in, it reboots. It took several "Waiting, just a few minutes" screens to return. It ruined the movie for me.

Tonight, I was watching the Nascar race and it happens again.

9. ItsRounder

ItsRounder New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    My sister lost audio after her TiVo upgraded to 14.8. Switching to PCM got the sound back but it doesn't sound as good. She has a receiver that it goes through but I can't remember the exact model.

10. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Welcome to the suck.

TiVo is making more unhappy customers instead of fixing problems that would make everyone happy. Hulu+ seems to be less than everyone was expecting, essentially Hulu-, since if gives you less content than the Hulu service. More unhappy customers there, too, now.

Just FIX THE CORE PROBLEMS, TiVo. Please.

11. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    That's why I posted the exact model receiver that lost the bloop sounds. Maybe we can find a common thread if everyone posts theirs.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That has nothing to do with the Premiere. I get the same content on my premieres with Hulu+ as I do on my PS3 and Xbox 360s.

All someone has to do is go to the Hulu website and it tells you that the licenses are different between HULU and HuLu+. They are not hiding this fact. I know I've been using Hulu+ since late last year and the information was there to read on the website before I signed up for HuLu+.

Does it suck. Of course, but TiVo has nothing to do with it. The content holders are the ones that sell the digital rights.

13. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Of course it's Hulu's problem. The point I was trying to make (and failing, apparently) was that the value of this add-on is substantially LESS than the value of a fully working, finished Premiere to the TiVo brand. If they had spent the time finishing the Premiere HDUI and adding back the Parental Controls they abandoned for HDUI it would have had a much more positive effect on the TiVo brand than Hulu+, which has disappointed many people because of the copious limitations.

14. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I remember having the sound effects problem eons ago and, IIRC, it had to do with injecting the sound effects into the digital audio stream. That problem disappeared after one of the updates and the sound effects worked fine (at least in PCM output). Now with 14.8, the sound effects are sporadic and partial when set to PCM. I switched to Dolby digital out and they are nonexistent on my Premiere. What the heck Tivo!?!?! Please take Hulu back and give me my sound effects back. Please!!!

P.S. My Premier is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX-84TXSI.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can't really have sound effects with dolby digital since it can't insert sound effects into the digital stream. Only if you are watching an analog channel would it work.