Premiere Will not work with Satellite so why is Tivo trying to get me to upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by satmaster, Apr 8, 2010.

1. satmaster

satmaster Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Louisiana

Advertisements

Why is tivo sending me onscreen messages trying to get me to upgrade when they know the new unit will not work on my system?:thumbsdown:

On a second note why has Tivo not included support for satellite tv in series 3 or premiere.

Why do they not want to sell to satellite owners?

I can not find a answer to this question.

It looks like Tivo just does not want the new customers it could have if series 2 satellite support had not been removed.

2. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    How does Tivo know you are a satellite owner.:confused:

3. SoBayJake

SoBayJake Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    The messages go to everyone. TiVo *could* choose not to send it to those with satellite lineups, but for all they know, you would dump satellite to go with cable or OTA.

Satellite companies have their own systems that they do not allow others access to. It's a closed system. Years ago, DirecTV decided to make boxed in-house, instead of having consumer electronics companies build them. Easier to support, etc. The best you will get (for now) is a TiVo interface on a DirecTV box. That's just the way it is.

A TiVo box could be created to record the analog-HD out of the satellite box, but it's going to cost more than $300 b/c of the encoders required. Then you'd be paying TiVo a monthly (or yearly/lifetime) fee, and the satellite company. And that's just for a single tuner. Want dual-tuners? That's another encoder, another satellite box to pay for, etc. The cost goes up substantially!

Series 2 records SD, that's much cheaper than recording HD.

4. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    You couldn't find any references to the DirecTivo or the (vaporware) new DVR from DirecTV with the TiVo software in it?

5. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal

Advertisements

Perhaps if you look here you will see the answer.

TiVo would love to sell to us. Many of us are still patiently waiting, but I have to tell you that the Premiere is looking more appealing every day.