Premiere vs XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BrokenHat, Dec 14, 2011.

1. BrokenHat

BrokenHat New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Ditching the Verizon POS DVR and coming back to Tivo. The Premiere is on sale for 79 and the XL is 299. Is there any significant difference between the two other than disk? It seems I can get a drive on my own for much less than 220.

I've looked at the Tivo website and other than the glowing remote I don't see anything else. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The XL is THX certified, which is pretty much meaningless since they are the same hardware, other than the hard drive.

3. BrokenHat

BrokenHat New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Thanks. I'll be getting the little one and throw another hard drive in it then.

4. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I just did exactly that. Copied old drive and installed a 1TB drive in my Premiere. Went smoothly. Going to do a second Premiere with 2TB today or tomorrow. I'll post the results. Paid $169 for the 2TB drive. Costs are up but it will give 300+ hours of HD recording. I'm getting a drive from an outfit that formats them for TIVO. Literally plug-an-play. Should be very easy and work well when your Premiere is new and has no recordings to copy over. We shall see...I'll keep the orig drives in case they are needed as I'm buying Lifetime Service on both machines, so if need be, I can re-install the original drives in any swap later on with TIVO -- or just as a replacement drive that will keep me going in some (perish the thought) hard drive failure. Premiere, for me, is the sweet spot in the list of new Tivos.

5. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Updating my own post for the record. Got my pre-formated 2TB drive today. Pulled the power cord out of my TIVO Premiere, cracked open the box, just 4 screws in back using a Torx T-10 screwdriver, pulled out the SATA connector and power (handy that it's one connector now) and using the T-10 screwdriver unscrewed the 4 screws holding hard drive in place, then 4 more screws holding the hard drive in its brackets. Reversed the process to install the new drive. Plugged the TIVo back in and let it boot. No problems at all. Ran the guided setup and when done (took about 25 min) I could see that I had 317 hours of HD recording time. How much easier could it get?

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Buy an Elite and plug it in?

But seriously, I went the same route with my regular Premiere. Too bad they don't sell an Elite with a 500GB drive for cheap, so we can just upgrade it ourselves.

7. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Two questions: How's the MOCA working out? .. What came after leaving Time Warner? Cut the cord completely?

8. BrokenHat

BrokenHat New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    From where?

9. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
  10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With the current hard drive prices, that is a really good deal for the 2TB drive and it already being formatted to use in the TiVo.

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    MoCA is great. I have several devices hanging off the ethernet port on the Elite, so all the devices in the living room get to be wired now instead of wireless.

I dropped Time Warner when I moved from Texas to Kentucky. I have Insight Cable now. They have a lot more channels and no tuning adapters are needed. Supposedly Time Warner is buying Insight, but hopefully they don't bring the damn tuning adapters with them.

12. Lrembrey

Lrembrey New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Xberk - Anyplace you can point me to learn how to do the HDD prep myself? We really don't need 2TB in my house. :p

13. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Here's the instructions I used. Excellent. Went flawlessly.
    But I have lots of experience building my own computers, so no fear when it comes to hooking up drives and booting off the CDROM .. etc..
    http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/

I believe that same Ebay seller has smaller drives formatted for TIVO Premiere. The cost difference between 1TB and 2TB didn't seem worth the saving to me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-TiVo-Premiere-1TB-Hard-Drive-Upgrade-Kit-/220707125953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33632b7ac1