Premiere vs Series 2 behavior of "resume"

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by xberk, Dec 12, 2011.

1. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I noticed one diff between Series 2 and Premiere in behavior with "resume" .. On our Series 2 Tivos, when it gets down to the last 5 min or so of a recording, no matter how you stop or bail out of that playback, there is no "resume" marker. The recording when accessed again starts at the beginning with PLAY .. In the Premiere, it's the same, except if you freeze the video first and then bail .. this seems to create a resume marker (even in the last minute of a recording) and next time you access the recording, it "resumes" where you left off.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Another difference I've noticed is on a Series 2, if you back out of a program and get the keep or delete screen, you're stuck. You have to select one of the options at that point to continue to do anything.
    With Series 3 and above, you can get out of that screen by using the skip back button.

ETA: The series 2 doesn't work the way you think it does. I just tested this on my Series 2 ST. If you back out of a recording in the last five minutes, you get the keep/delete screen (with it's noted flaw above).
    If you pause the recording first before you back out, you're taken back to the program screen with the 'resume playing' option, even if you're in the last 30 seconds of the recording. The next time you access the recording, it resumes from that pause point.

3. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Steve I just tried it again and my Series 2 TIvos don't behave that way. I have two of them running software version 6.4a .. These are on Directv service so maybe they don't have the same software as your series 2 .. ? It's really a minor point since I'm converting to Premiere units and cable. Just slowly discovering some differences. My wife was the one complaining about this as she records Golf tournaments on her Series 2 and keeps the Tivo slightly behind the live event. She's learned she has to be 5 or 6 min behind to keep her place when she switches away .. So .. you want to tell her that the Series 2 doesn't work that way and show her scientifically and rationally how you are correct? .. Hmmmmmm ...

Frankly, I was hardly aware of this little problem until I loaded my new Premeire with a bunch of home movies. They are mostly 5 min or less in length -- so I noticed that switching away from them, even in the first min, that there was no option to resume -- unless I hit pause before exiting .. but on longer recordings, things worked as you would expect with resume always there.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That's got to be the reason for the difference in behavior. My S2 is a stand alone unit with software 9.3.2b.

I apologize for implying you were wrong. I didn't take into account that your S2 might be a DirectTV Tivo. :eek:

5. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    No sweat. That's what forums like this are all about .. shared experience. I never worry about being wrong .. I have lots of practice.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't have a series 2, but I do have a series 1, and I definitely can create a "pause marker" in the last 5 minutes. It just has to do with how you exit the show. IIRC, if you hit left, it asks you if you want to delete.. But other ways let you "get out", even in the last 5 mins.