Premiere vs. HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by vaquero, Feb 12, 2020.

1. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    What are the differences between the Premiere and HD Series 3?

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere is a Series 4.

Series 3 are no longer supported but will continue service to them. They also do not have any streaming apps/services as they do not stream.

3. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Thanks for your response.

4. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Actaully, only S3's with Lifetime can be transferred, but it requires a telephone call to TiVo. While S3's no longer have the apps functioing (Roku or FireTV, etc. are so much better with the apps than ANY TiVO), they have superior OTA signal performance to any subsequent TiVo's, and this can be significant if you are in a somewh challenging area, but even clear path results in weaker signal strength, although I've not heard about the S7 TiVo Edge OTA performance.

S3's have only two tuners, but the S3's are still workhorses and I still heavily use two S3's (both 648 and HD) as my backbone recorders and storage. My later TiVo's function more as viewers. The S3 is an excellent DVR and I find the more simple UI to be preferred in many ways.

However, there are a few things that newer TiVos have that may be missed by some on the S3's:

1. Logos: No channel logos on S3's guide, but logos still show on recordings list, but the TiVo guide is still available.
    2. Picture in Corner: no picture in corner, but quite a few TiVo users do NOT like the Picture in corner feature.
    3. No streaming from S3 capability. However, recordings can be transferred from S3 to other TiVo DVR that supports streaming (S4 and later) still on TE3--not to any TiVo using TE4.

Those are the only ones that I feel more of a loss, but no so much I would stop using my S3's. Commercial Skip, Auto Commercial Skip, Quick Mode are nice, but I do not miss them in the least when using my S3's. Also, I do use the S3 648's OLED to know what is recording. It has helpled me stop recording repeats, which all DVR's seem to want to do even when set to NEW Recordings, or simply confirm to my comfort that a desired show is really recording.

Frankly, I would not really consider the change bewteen S3 to Premiere. The more dramatic change is comparing either of those to the Roamio because of a minimum of 4 tuners per Roamio--Roamio Basic and Roamio OTA--with cable only Roamios having 6 tuners. Cable only Roamios and subsequent S6 & S7 have built-in streaming capability. The Roamio (basic) requires the connection of the TiVo STREAM although no longer manufactured, used ones can be purchased on places like Fleabay or Refurbished from Weeknees. The Mini must have a DVR host with no less than 4 tuners, that means certain cable only models of Premiere and Roamio (basic or OTA) at a minimum. The Stream can not be hosted by any two tuner DVR's, not even a Premiere 2 tuner DVR.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020