Premiere Stuck on "Clearing Guide Data"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BizzyMarks, Jan 30, 2020.

1. BizzyMarks

BizzyMarks New Member

May 21, 2006
    For the past few weeks, my guide data would slowly change to nearly every channel showing "To Be Announced". From other posts on that topic, I ran the Clear Guide Data and it worked. A few days later I started seeing more To Be Announced entries and ran it again and it's been fine for a couple weeks. Once again it started happening and I ran Clear Guide Data, but now my Premiere is stuck on the boot process.

I tried using Kickstart codes, but they don't seem to do anything. I pause at the yellow flash and it stays solid, I type in a 2 digit code like 59 and the green and yellow lights flash alternating then stop, and the TiVo continues to boot into Clearing Guide Data.

I suspected it may have been a hard drive issue, so I replaced the stock 500GB with a 2TB WD Red drive. I boot it up and it goes straight back to Clearing Guide Data.

What more can I do??

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    this worked for a roamio user from another thread - you'll lose any recordings - but, hey, if you're willing to try:

3. BizzyMarks

BizzyMarks New Member

May 21, 2006
    I'm willing to try anything. I'm not concerned about losing recordings. I'm only going to miss 1 episode of Mom at this point.

I rebooted, waited for the yellow, hit pause, yellow went solid. I typed "76" and the yellow and green started flashing back and forth and it kept booting like normal.

I'm willing to copy over a clean image if someone has one. It's a 2 Turner Premiere.

4. QuietMan

QuietMan New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Ohio
    Wondering if software 20.7.4b has introduced new bugs. Since that came down in Nov. 2019, my Premiere has been occasionally showing the "To Be Announced" problem, but worse, it's been scheduling three and four OnePass recordings at the same time on a two-tuner machine! Then when the time comes, it often ditches higher-priority shows and records the lower-priority ones.

Same end result though: Tried to run Clear Guide Data today and now box is stuck there. It will start a reboot, but returns to Clear Guide Data again shortly after the Almost There . . . message appears. And gets stuck again, ad infinitum. Tech Support offers no help except a phone transfer to buy a new box.

Perhaps if enough people document these issues in Community Forum, we might get TiVo's attention.

5. BizzyMarks

BizzyMarks New Member

May 21, 2006
    Oh, then this is no good at all. I email tech support today. I suppose I'm have to wait till Monday to hear back. But I'll definitely bring this up and push for escalation.

6. Manny24

Manny24 New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Premiere XL here with basically the same issue as described above. Was seeing a lot of blank entries and TBA in guide data so tried to clear guide and to do list, now hung up on clearing guide data for 4+ days.

7. BizzyMarks

BizzyMarks New Member

May 21, 2006
    I ended up getting a new hard drive and a fresh image and everything works.

One thing I'd note is that when running guided setup, the lineup I had was missing. It seems to have been replaced. I'm wondering if this is the real problem. The guide lineup we're using is gone and is becoming corrupted in the process and TiVo isn't alerting us to the guide change.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a Premiere and three Roamio units. I have bricked the Premiere and two Roamio units doing the CPI&TDL. My last unit to kill is a TE4 Roamio. I will kill it after I copy off all the programs. But this time I'm going to try a Guided Setup. I will lose my 1P, but so will having to format the drive. I only have 19 1P, so it's just as easy to copy them with kmttg as just re-renter them.

The failure, in my opinion, is due to a migration of the TE4 and TE3 guides. If all you watch is the System Information field of Program Information To: you don't see the change. But watch the End of Data date/time and End of Guide date/time. With TE3, the guide and data always ended at 1 or 2pm EST. Now it's 7pm like TE4. TE4 always had TBA or TNA for a day or two at the end. Now TE3 has that also. Last weekend it was pretty with TE3 and TE4 both having the same data and guide.

9. Manny24

Manny24 New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Thanks very much for the update. I will likely give it a few more days to see if it comes back before getting a new drive from weaknees.

10. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    I don't understand what you are doing to your boxes. Do you believe (or know) that re-imaging (Premiere) and re-formatting (Roamio) is going to fix the bug?
    So far I have no Guide Data issues. Am I okay just leaving well enough alone, just don't do any GS or CPI&TDL?

I wouldn't mind refreshing the drives, if it weren't for all the CP programs I have.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It will not fix the bug. It will get me back to a functioning TiVo. I have no proof a GS will help or hurt. The object of a CPI&TDL is to rebuild a guide that may be corrupted. I will test the GS, but not until next weekend.

According to the TiVo Technical Reference Manual, just leave things alone. ;)

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Today's update: a GS seems to not hurt the TiVo or the programs, but more settings will be lost. Also, TE4 may not have this problem.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  13. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    This is a known issue with all TE3 units -- C&DE and clearing the guide data/to do list can brick a unit. The issue number is BZLQ-17472.

Tivo Customer Support Community

So don't do it.

fcfc2 and kpeters59 like this.
  14. ClayKY

ClayKY Member

Aug 23, 2005
    KY
    So TE4 is not affected?

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm old. I think it took a long time on my TE4 Roamio. But if I didn't have a way to backup the programs, I wouldn't do it. Also, I have never had an issue with transferring programs with Online. There have been reports of files transferred via Online to a TE4 box freezing at the 10 minute mark. I'm betting those had SM. I went through the 2TB of programs on my TE4 Roamio to check and only programs with SM were affected. When you have four Roamio units, one with TE4, my old brain has troubles keeping stuff straight. Sorry I can't give you a yes/no answer.

I updated my post. CYA seemed appropriate.

16. _Nomad_

_Nomad_ New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    It was Tivo tech support who just told me to do that on my Premier Elite 4XL and now it's bricked. They said oh well, mabey Tivo will let you keep your lifetime service if you buy a new Tivo. Tivo sales said no, I would have to buy a new lifetime service if I bought a new Tivo.

So you're saying Tivo tech support KNEW my Tivo would be bricked if I did what they told me to do? :mad:

My Tivo is now stuck on this screen...

20200223_120007[1].jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  17. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Tweet here:

-KP

18. designr

designr Member

Nov 16, 2002
    I have a Premier XL4. The Guide Data began disappearing a month or so ago. On advise of TiVo I tried Clear Guide Data/ToDo List. It bricked my TiVo.

$200 and one brand new hard drive later everything was good.

Less than a day later the Guide Data is disappearing AGAIN!!

Is TiVo PURPOSELY BRICKING OLD TiVos??

Are they just IDIOTS??

I paid for Lifetime Service. Who do I talk to about getting my money back?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, it's probably unintended consequences.

Yes.

20. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing.

If you call back and give the bug report number I posted above, maybe you can get a free lifetime transfer.