1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere Shows Black Screen on HDMI Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Vilandra08, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Vilandra08

Vilandra08 Alien Princess

Aug 19, 2007
    NYC
    I know this is an issue others have had, but I've not been able to find a solution so I thought someone might have a suggestion for my situation.

When I turned on the tv yesterday, out of the blue the screen was black on the HDMI connection. I have a Premiere hooked up through a splitter to a Sony Bravia tv. It had previously been working fine for many years.

I get no menus at all, though the lights on the front panel will light up with the remote.

The tivo works fine using composite cables.

HDCP in settings says not enabled.

Connecting the tivo to a different tv (Samsung) yields same result.

Connecting the tivo directly to the tv via hdmi yields same result.

The hdmi port on the tv works fine when tested with a FireTV stick (only one port on the tv).

Switching out the hdmi cable for a new one yields the same result.

I repeated guided setup. I restarted the tivo. I unplugged the hdmi cable, waited, then plugged it back in. I unplugged it from the tivo, turned off the tv, waited, then plugged it back in. No difference.

Initially I thought the HDCP handshake was the problem, but the fact that the same thing happens on two different brand tvs, and that I didn’t have a problem before, makes me think that's not it. Could it be a bad hdmi connector on the tivo? Anyone have any other ideas for me?

Thank you! :)

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Maybe the TiVo Resolution output got changed to an incompatible resolution?

From Live TV, Arrow Up cycles through the resolutions.

Hopefully that's it, because my Premiere HDMI connection went out quite a while back...

-KP

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Use component cables if your tv accepts them. Picture quality is about the same.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. Vilandra08

Vilandra08 Alien Princess

Aug 19, 2007
    NYC
    Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing in the meantime but would still like to try and fix the problem.

I tried changing the resolution with no effect on either tv I tried it with.

:)