Premiere + Server, what OS?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by brodie4416, Jun 28, 2011.

1. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    I have come across several very nice quad core server boxes that I am going to fill up with hard drives and one will be used for streaming video back and forth to the TiVo.

I have terabytes of TV shows that I recorded and converted to .avi for viewing on my PCs that I would like to be able to stream back to the TiVo. I also am looking for something that will automatically copy new shows from the TiVo on to the server.

Since I am building my own server for this, what OS works best with TiVo (premiere)?

I have read many articles claiming WHS works well with TiVo but I have found nothing saying it can stream video back to the TiVo or automatic backups.

I was also looking at a linux server option, any particular version of linux work well with TiVo?

I have seen similar threads, but the majority of them were not for home-built options, so I am looking to see if anyone has anything to share about TiVo with a home-built server! Thanks!

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I'd recommend Linux. I'm partial to Fedora distributions myself, although I know others like Ubuntu. I use pyTivo extensively for streaming from PC to Tivo, although I've never streamed from Tivo to PC.

Personally, I avoid all things "windows" when talking about servers, reliability, low cost, or performance.

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010

4. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006

I feared that may be a silly question as soon as I asked it. I have little to no experience with Linux, is there any version that is easiest to learn? I assume PyTivo will work on any?

Thanks again!

5. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    PCLinuxOS http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180 is pretty easy to use. I don't have much experience with other distributions since I was just messing around with an 10+ year laptop and I wanted a small easy to use OS. I tried Ubuntu initially, but it didn't play nice with the display and I couldn't read display during the installation process making it impossible to select the right options.

Based on what I saw when I was looking at different options most distros are similar to Windows in that most everything can be done without command line, but power users still have that option.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    A WHS works well with TiVo(Although I prefer using a dedicated PC(Win7 64 bit) with my TiVos) but I know with my Add In it doesn't stream. It transfers content to the TiVo and is watched from the TiVo hard drive. For my streaming content I use media players, but also most of my content is from BD ISOs.

7. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    My home server just runs XP. I dont really see the advantage of running linux for essentially a media server. Granted if youre only going to use it for Tivo then there arent a lot of apps available but for example, I keep my music and video on a XP based server, run Streambaby and PyTivo as services and have access to my music library using both Google Music and AudioGalaxy.

Guess it depends on what youre trying to do. My media server does more than just stream video.

8. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    I should mention that the main purpose of the server is going to be a file server (more than just media). It will need to convert video files from .avi to .tivo and stream them to the TiVo for viewing.

The server also needs to have remote desktop capabilities.

The server may also host a mail server in the future.

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The three distros I mentioned are all equally easy to install and learn.
    Yes, Pytivo will work on all of them.

That was assumed from your original posting. Pytivo will do all of that.

That can be done with several technologies, including vnc.

Linux runs most of the world's Email systems, including Google's.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is free for install, it is free for upgrading, it is very secure, it performs well, it is easy to customize, reliable, thousands of apps are a click away for automatic installation, many choices of configuration and desktops, it requires no licensing. There are many advantages of Linux, in general.

Exactly. Linux isn't for everyone. It will require some learning, just like anything. And it isn't going to be compatible with that much commercial software. But it is actually *easier* to install than MS-Windows, and is no more difficult to configure most aspects of the system.

My Linux server does everything- desktop, remote access, server, email, web browsing, transcoding, games, printing, virtual machines, emulators, instant messaging, word processing, spreadsheets, graphics design, photo archiving and editing, file management... everything. I hope you weren't implying that a Linux machine is only good for one task :)

11. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Not at all. I work with linux daily and its a great OS. I didnt think about the licensing deal with XP because my media server is an old PC a client tossed away and I reimaged it and made it into a media server.

Thats a good point in favor of linux.

12. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback, I am going with Ubuntu for now. I am running it as a dual boot on this machine before loading it onto the server. Is there a special version of Ubuntu for server applications? I was under the impression it was all included, but I could be wrong.

Any light (and free) reading material on Linux servers that anyone recommends?

13. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I think Linux is a great OS, but I would miss Video redo and the QS fix if I switched my Tivo video server (Win 7 64 bit, KMTTG and PyTivo).