Premiere Series 4 fails to complete the Getting Setup Info page,

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by CARL W, Jan 20, 2020.

1. CARL W

CARL W New Member

Jan 20, 2020

Advertisements

This box does not finish line three of the Getting Setup Info page. It shows downloading for several minutes and then after a blank screen shows the initial welcome screen that shows when power to the box is interrupted. TiVo personnel can see this box try to connect (they can see what zip code has been entered and how the box is connected to the Internet (WiFi or Ethernet) One TiVo said this problem is becomming more frequent. Has TiVo updated their software making it impossible for boxes manufactured in 2010 to finish a setup or is it important for owners of these old boxes to find and update the software on them?

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Where'd you get the box from? If it was shipped, it could be hard drive damage (or if it was sitting for awhile, could've just gone bad).

Could also be outdated software having trouble updating - when you get to the first screen of Guided Setup, press Info and post what the software version is.

3. CARL W

CARL W New Member

Jan 20, 2020
    I purchased it from an individual who said it worked fine before shipment (well wrapped - no evidence of rough treatment. Software is, I think, the most likely. One of the TiVo technicicans hinted that recent updates may be causing a problem -- they are getting others with the same complaint. I know the software can be updated but not without being connected. I'll set up again and see if I can see what version of software is on the box. Thanks

4. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Yeah, not sure about Premieres but with older S3 units the software version can be a problem - if it's old enough, it'll just give out when it should try to update. If that winds up being the problem, assuming you are decent with computers and cables you can request an image here (using your model number, i.e. TCD... number printed on the back) and that should have the latest OS on it, which would let it finish updating.

5. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

Advertisements

there are several threads describing this exact issue, with existing customers reactivating shelved boxes, others re-imaging replacement drives, and some activating boxes purchased used, with no solutions i'm aware of.

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Remove the hard drive, connect it to a PC, download the free crystal disk image software and check the health of the drive. Request an image from the premiere forum on this web site download the image along with the dvrbars software. Restore the image to your existing hard drive or a new hard drive with the dvrbars software. Check this forum for recommended model replacement drive if your existing hard drive is bad.

7. CARL W

CARL W New Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Thanks for these details

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Try a KickStart 52?

Or see if you can chase down a recent version of the software?

-KP

9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    So if I see a Premiere for 20$ on Craigslist should I avoid it? Sounds like this is a big problem.

10. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Hell, for 20 bucks I'd go for it even if it wound up not working (and keep it for parts-swapping if needed).

11. stefandaystrom

stefandaystrom New Member

May 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I now have the same problem with my Premiere XL, but many months ago I had a different problem which implied I had outdated software: It was stuck in Guided Setup, saying it could not find any channels in my area, no matter which zipcode I use, and even if I specify Antenna only. Then in recent months it started acting just like the OP described above.

Mine says:

b-tcdclient-20-5-6-mr/2016.01.06-2055
    I tried KickStart 52, but the next Download time was the same 15ish seconds that it always is.

How does one "chase down a recent version of the software" and get it onto a Premiere XL (without wiping out stored programs)?

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Image sent. You can thank jmbach for the updated XL image.

malikguy and kpeters59 like this.
  13. malikguy

malikguy New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Hi ggieseke, does this process wipe out stored recordings? Assuming so, since it's a byte for byte restore?

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It wipes out everything.

malikguy likes this.