Premiere rebooting every night?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by runt, Dec 21, 2011.

1. runt

runt New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Ok,
    For some reason my Premiere has started rebooting every night and when it does, it gets to the "Welcome, Starting Up" screen & then reboots again. Power cycling it takes care of the issue, but I don't really want to do that. It only started doing it this week, could it be due to the fact that I upgraded my Premiere to a 1TB drive?

2. scrappynfl

scrappynfl New Member

May 3, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    earlier in year would reboot when i tried you tube feaature, now its just random and takes forever to start. 10 days over my 1 year purchase date and tivo said ithey would exchange my box for $149 customer since april 2007 and my 5th tivo box. way to go with customer service tivo

3. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Mine started doing the same thing after the 14.92.2 update, I have been using a 2 TB drive.
    I was going to try putting in the original drive update it and redo the the 2 tb drive. That might work for you.

4. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I agree with putting the original drive back in to see if that solves the overnight rebooting issue. This would help to narrow down the issue.

If something is corrupted on the 1TB drive, that might cause the reboot -- but why would recycling of the power help? I don't think it would if the drive is corrupted. This points to a power supply problem. If the power supply is flaky it might cause the rebooting, until the unit is powered down completely and then rebooted. But why would the power supply decide to reboot at night only? Why not during the day? ... Has to be a reason.

Putting the original drive back in would, at least, narrow down the problem.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Part of the problem could easily be due to your having used a Western Digital Caviar Green and not having used the wdidle3 utility to disable Intellipark.

Intellipark interferes with the TiVo doing a soft reboot.

Overnight is when the TiVo does soft reboots if and when it needs to do one, like after a software upgrade.

What happens is basically the operating system is on partitions 3 and 4, with a backup copy on 6 and 7.

When an update is sent down from TiVo it'll get written to 6 and 7, and the TiVo will make itself a note to reboot in the middle of the night when no one is using it and rewrite the bootpage to make it start booting from 6 and 7 instead of 3 and 4.

Part of its instructions to itself are getting lost when you pull the power plug, so it never makes the bootpage switch.

From some of what I've read around here lately, the new version of the software may bring you different problems.

6. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    This sounds a little like my problem. Mine started rebooting itself a night or two ago, was fine for a day or so, then today I was getting severe pixelation and inaction to remote commands. I'm trying a restore to a new hard drive of my original (pre 4.9.2.2) drive.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Your problem sounds like software upgrade disease.

runt's problem is classic "didn't disable Intellipark".

Once that's fixed he can get on to having problems with 4.9.9.2 like everyone else.

8. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Per Ross Walker's site for upgrading TIVO drives:
    http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/

>>13) Run wdidle3 to reset the idle time on Western Digital drives (Only required for TiVo Series 3 with WD drive or ANY TiVo [not confirmed] using WDxxEURS series drives)

Does anyone have a list of all the Western Digital drives that feature "Intellipark" ?

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That sounds like great customer service. A box that is no longer under warranty and they will only charge you $149 for a replacement box which also includes moving the Lifetime service to it.

Whether it's 1 day, 10 days or 100 days past the warranty, the warranty has still expired.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think it's basically any Caviar Green drives.

As far as I know, you can run it on any WD drive and if the drive doesn't have Intellipark it won't hurt anything, you'll probably get a "this feature not supported on this drive" type error message.

You can go through this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

to read the progression of the discovery of the problem.

11. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I put the original back in last night and restored the 2 tb drive during the day today. So far no reboots, the overnight reboots seemed to always happen around 4-5 am. all this started the night after I got the update so I assume they are related. I thought I read something about drive structure changing on the new update so maybe that's why. I'll see tonight if the problem has gone away.

12. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    2 TB drive is back in and it reboots at 4:30 am. Ran the kickstart drive test on the Tivo and it does not detect any problems. Guess I have to deal with the reboots or use the original drive.

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    TiVos do occasionally reboot overnight on purpose following software upgrades, so as long as the reboot doesn't happen when it's supposed to do something else, and as long as the reboot is successful, maybe it's not really a problem.

We haven't heard back from runt, but his problem, reboot unsuccessful, has to power cycle, is classic Intellipark not disabled, which is a different situation.

Since your reboots seem to be happening on a schedule, maybe they actually are happening on a schedule, which means they're supposed to happen, that it's intentional.

Don't forget to set both your tuners to record "It's a Wonderful Life" on NBC tonight (Toys for Tots gets $1 for each TiVo that does), and then schedule something to record from say 4:00am to 6:00 am, and see if it interrupts that recording to reboot or not. If it doesn't, then the reboot was scheduled.

14. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Actually I had previously set up both of my boxes to record its a wonderful life. On the the continuous rebooting, I had already noticed that there where shows scheduled for 5 am that did not record due to the rebooting. I actually have a western digital formatting right now, I had been using a seagate as the 2 tb drive. I'll see if that fixes the problem, could be the seagate is just bad enough that it tests fine but actually has a problem. I know someone else said that the new version of the software could be more sensitive to hardware issues so I'll know by tomorrow if that is the problem.
    Just so I am clear the rebooting issue I have is that it doesn't just reboot and work like normal, it reboots and then keeps rebooting every 30 seconds. It never gets to the Tivo Central screen or the Tivo video, not until I power cycle it then it boots as normal and everything is fine. Rebooting from the Tivo menu does not cause this problem to happen. Not sure what causes a reboot everynight around 5 am in the new version of the software though.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    This may or may not be relevant.

I recently acquired an S3 HD and finally figured out a way to upgrade to 2TB while expanding the swap partition size.

I used a Seagate drive.

I was getting nightly reboots.

I swapped out the Seagate for a WD20EADS (after disabling Intellipark).

No more reboots.

I don't know if the problem was using a Seagate, or using an "advanced format" drive, which the Seagate is and the WD isn't, or if it was something else.

Maybe the Seagate's have something akin to Intellipark about which nothing's known.

16. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Could be, however everything was working fine since the 2nd when I put the drive in then along came the update and so did the problems. So I am more inclined to believe it has something to do with the update. Perhaps something was added that has a problem with the seagate drive.

17. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I put in the WD earx and no more reboots. I didn't disable intellipark did several reboots to make sure everything is fine and it appears to be working perfectly.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Any particular reason for not disabling Intellipark?

It's of no use whatsoever on a drive used in a TiVo, but has the potential to cause trouble.

19. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Pure laziness, didn't really feel like finding the software to disable it. It's not giving me a problem now so I won't worry about it until it does.