Premiere Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ScottNY845, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ScottNY845

ScottNY845 New Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New York

Advertisements

Hello All:

Can a Tivo Premiere be used with a STANDARD TV and not a FLAT SCREEN? I know I can use the RCA CABLES, or even buy an HDMI converter to s-video if needed...BUt I was wondering if the menu screens would be cut off since the TV is not WIDESCREEN, or would the menu screens be shrunk down to fit the screen dimensions?

Scott

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The Premiere has an "SD" mode. I would think you'd want to use that with a standard definition TV. It looks like the traditional Tivo interface.

The only alternative might be to letterbox it (with some kind of converter maybe?) but that would be silly. Also beware that HDMI->Svideo converters often don't support HDCP copy protection.

3. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    It'll work JUST FINE. I have it run to my main Tv via HDMI, and then to a secondary Tv via composite into an RF modulator. Just have to go in and chage the format to 4:3 screen, and then back again when I'm on the HDTV (You won't have that problem obviously).

4. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    Not to get too TV-tech nerdy on you, but a flat screen is not actually synonymous with widescreen, although it is true that it's a distinction without a difference these days. In fact, back around 2000 I had a Sony 36" CRT that was 4:3 (I.e., standard), and it had a flat screen. It was also an exceptionally unwieldy 200 lbs!

And kturcotte is right, just go into the settings and switch to the standard 4:3 screen format.

5. ScottNY845

ScottNY845 New Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New York

Advertisements

Thanks for the help...

I see from a picture, that is has the RED, WHITE, and YELLOW plugs, but no S-VIDEO like all the other tivo's...

Can someone suggest a good device to get this into S-VIDEO mode?

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  7. ScottNY845

ScottNY845 New Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New York
    I notice the difference now with the series2 models...cleans up the pic and gets rid of all the noise and makes it much sharper...then just using the RWY cables...

8. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    If you are going to use a Modulator, Composite (not to be confused with Component) is BETTER tha S-Video. While S-Video is better for direct connection, Composite is in fact the EXACT modulation waveform a Modulator needs. Modulators with S-Video inputs have to dork around trying to make Composite from the S-Video -- this case Composite is closer to ideal.