Premiere OTA Performance Not uUp to Par

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by exegesis48, Jun 5, 2011.

1. exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Okay, so I recently replaced my TiVo HD in the living room with a Premiere and moved the HD back into the bedroom. Now I am noticing there is more signal loss on the premiere (we are OTA only) and artifacts. The TiVo HD still picks up all the channels wonderfully. I can't even get one of the channels (CBS) on the Premiere, but it shows up fine on the TiVo HD. What's the deal?

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    The Premiere appears to not handle multi-path signals as well as the older models. I had the same experience between my OLED Series 3 and Premiere. I moved my antenna, which seemed to help. Others have found good quality directional antennas help resolve the problem as well. Search the forum. This has been discussed before. I'm surprised those other topic titles didn't pop up when you created this thread.

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    In fact, some users have invested in S3 TiVo's (even recent first time TiVo owners) specifically because the OTA experience on them is superior. Unless there is something in the Premiere one really MUST have, I would recommend all OTA only users to purchase S3 Tivos only (Original Series 3 648 w/OLED, HD, or HDXL). Quite a few still available on ebay. Don't pay the Amazon price as those sellers (not Amazon directly, but independent sellers) have S3's WAY overpriced. You can get great deals on S3's that may even include lifetime at ebay.

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It's just crazy that Tivo would design the Premiere to not be able to handle multi path signals like the Series 3 generation models can. Are we to keep expecting reduced capabilities with each new Tivo generation now?

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I'm OTA only, and I have to say that IME my Premiere is better in every way than my TiVo HD, especially in handling signals with severe multipath. Up to and including version 14.8, I also had (using SDUI) none of the software problems that affect some others here, but I have had one odd glitch since receiving 14.8.U2. I do hope TiVo will finish debugging the Premiere's software, of course.

6. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I'm happy I have both. My Premiere way outperforms my 648' when it comes to playing h264 video coming from my computer. My S3 has a 2TB drive installed, so most of my Season Passes are recorded using that machine. After moving my antenna to a different (and apparently better!) location, I see no difference in OTA picture quality between the two anymore.