Premiere on the way!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rabinny, Feb 11, 2011.

1. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore

Advertisements

My new Premiere should be here in a few hours. :cool: I have to say I'm a little nervous after reading this forum. It sounds like this thing has some serious issues. Is there anyone here that loves their Premiere box? :(

2. joejet

joejet New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    I Love it... just perfer the SD menus for speed. Lots of "wish" items we hope they fix, but still love my Tivo over any other box you can get.

3. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I love my Premiere also. Some tips:
    • the Tivo probably will want to do some software downloads/updates to get it to the current release. Make sure you have a solid internet connection and be patient.
    • The guide data will take some time to completely populate.
    • I believe the Tivo needs to do some indexing of program data so things may be a little slow at first
    • If you are getting a CableCard installed, run Guided Setup for cable before your installer arrives. It will save time.
    I use mine exclusively with the HD menus. It's not perfect, but I like it better than any other DVR I have used, including my TivoHD.

Enjoy!

4. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    I got mine last week after owning a Series 2 for years. It seems like the people on this forum jump to the worst very quickly. If your not expecting the box to be as fast as your computer and have a good internet connection you should be in good shape. I love my new Premiere and its 20X better than any cable box offered in my area. Enjoy your new TiVo.

5. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Advertisements

Yep, love mine.

6. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Thanks for the info so far everyone. I'm doing the CableCard install myself. I'm a tech with a cable company in NJ so they let me do it myself. I have a pretty good internet connection. I average about 29 Mbits download and around 5 upload. I'm just worried about the freezing and rebooting that I hear so many people talking about.

I've done a few CableCard installs before but I haven't done any trouble calls for people with Premiere's so I haven't sene any issues up front.

7. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I really like mine too. I have had a few more issues with my Premiere than with my Series 3 but nothing too bad and I have never missed a recording (which is what it is all about for me). I also like the Netflix and Youtube integration - simpler is better for me.

8. Mike_Wolf

Mike_Wolf Associate

Sep 27, 2010
    Toms River,...
    You seem familar, We should meet up dude. Last I heard the cable company I work for is stict about that type of thing. I'm just happy that we're not doing SDV.

9. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Very happy with mine as well though there are still some tricks I wish I knew or ways that I might wish the menus worked a little better/differently. The HD menus work ok for my tastes though and being able to find shows via the website (tivo.com) and use the iPad app with the boxes makes it all the better. :up:

10. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore

I'm in Ocean Township and I work for Cablevision. I think they just recently changed their CableCard policy and they are letting customers pick them up from the walk-in center.

update- TiVo is still "In-Transit" by UPS...huuuuuury up :rolleyes:

11. etavadia

etavadia Member

Sep 11, 2003
    MI
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on mine as well. I have S3 right now. Couple of questions. Will I be able to still program the 30 second skip forward? Is it easy to transfer all my show over from Series 3 to the premier if they are both on the same network?

Thanks for all the great posts and support!

~Eric

12. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    (1) yes, although the 30 second skip is a bit slower on the Premiere.

(2) Yes, I transfered all my programs without problem.

13. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    love it.

14. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Love my Premiere + HD menus too.

And get the slide remote - loved that also, 'till the dog got it. :eek:

15. Mike_Wolf

Mike_Wolf Associate

Sep 27, 2010
    Toms River,...
    Gah, cablevision :rolleyes: lol Maybe we could hang out and watch a game?

16. CPoint

CPoint New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I love mine. I've had it for 3 weeks and I'm thinking about a second one. I used to have Directtv. Now I'm using OTA and netflix and saving a lot of money. Mine is a tivo.com refurb and I have not had any problems.

17. Mike_Wolf

Mike_Wolf Associate

Sep 27, 2010
    Toms River,...
    If your thinking about getting one, why not get two and send one to me? :p

18. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    This is a very upbeat Premiere thread. Good for you guys!

I agree with all of this...yes it's better/quicker with SD. But yes, it's also usable and "pretty" (and useful if you like that sort of thing) in HD mode. And yes, I love our TWO Premieres**!!

And it's definitely faster than S3/HDTiVO in SD mode. The rate at which the next "page" of Now Playing is painted on the S4 is two maybe three times faster than the S3/HD.

Add to that the facts:
    • ANY TiVo ever made is better than any cableco DVR ever made, hands down
    • The TiVo will improve--they have ALWAYS improved their software over time. The P4 in fact has just one CPU/core enabled at the moment--once they're confident they have the software fully tested to use the other one, they will turn that one. Exemplar: The Series 2 was already End-of-life'd (no longer supported) when the big switch to all digital OTA happened about a year or so ago. After some complaints, they put out an update to Series 2's to allow the S2 to have infrared codes to allow it to control the digital set top box that converts HD OTA to SD.

** We still have two Series 3s and an HDTiVo. And we BOUGHT three Premieres, all lifetimed, upgraded them all to 2TB/300hrsHD. I sold one of those to a buddy (lifetimed 2TB Premiere) for $550.