Premiere no longer switches output format based on content

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jicama, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jicama

jicama New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I have an old 4:3 CRT HDTV that supports 480p and 1080i. When I set up my RCN Premiere a few months ago I set it to 4:3 Smart Screen, and it properly displayed SD content in 480p (filling the screen) and HD content in 1080i (with TV-supplied letterboxing). I used the SD menus, which were displayed in 480p as well.

But then a couple of days ago, it seems to have decided that it wants to use 1080i for everything, including SD content, which shows up surrounded by black bars. I can manually switch to 480p by hitting the up button on the remote, but that shouldn't be necessary, and wasn't necessary before. The SD menus are now output in 1080i as well. I checked and my video settings haven't changed; the TV is still set to 4:3 Smart Screen, and the output formats are still set to 480p and 1080i.

At about the same time, the TiVo Commander Android app that I use (which uses the iPad app interface) started displaying "0% disk used", where previously it was accurate.

Any ideas? Was there a software update recently or something?

EDIT: It also has stopped listing my pyTivo at the bottom of My Shows, though pyTivo logs a connection request from the TiVo once a minute.

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Since you are on an RCN Premiere, you may indeed have recieved a software update that the rest of us have not seen yet.

The output settings can be changed and the previous setting could have been lost in the update. Should not have but its possible. As for the pytivo problem, suggest posting about this in the Home Media section of the fourm as the pytivo experts are there and may be able to help. Hopefully the HMO interactions have not chaged for the new software.

3. jicama

jicama New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. The System Info screen says software version 14.9.AB4-01-2-746, if that's meaningful.

My output settings don't seem to be changed; it's just that the TiVo doesn't use 480p at all anymore unless I manually switch.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yes, that is the version number. Very few folks here have 14.9 yet so really cannot help much more. That version is supposed to be pushed out the retail premieres in the next few weeks. Until then I am not sure how to help you with any specifics. Perhaps spend some time on the phone with tivo? It sometimes gets you to someone that can help...sometimes not.

I do know that there are quite a few folks here that would love to know what 14.9 has to offer. Did you notice any other changes since the update? Speed, menus, UI response?

5. jicama

jicama New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Aha, now I see the DSL reports thread about the RCN upgrade; yes, it sounds like this was what caused the change in behavior. I can't link to it yet because my post count is too low.

The main change I've noticed in the menus is that the SD menus are output in 1080i now. While I was trying to figure out what happened I switched to the HD menu for a bit; as I recall I hadn't been using it before because some of the text was getting cut off by overscan on my TV, but that doesn't seem to be as much of an issue now. Now that I know that there was a software update, perhaps I'll give the HD menus another try.

I eventually did get the TiVo to talk to pyTivo again somehow, though I really don't know what made the difference. The last two things I did were to set up pyHME on port 80 and manually add the computer as a server, and remove the photo and music shares from pyTivo.

6. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Has anyone heard about when/if Tivo will correct this problem? Is there another newer thread re: this issue? Thanks!

7. jicama

jicama New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I'm still having these problems, and I haven't gotten any response to my posting on the dslreports 14.9 thread. It sounds like they're starting to roll out 14.92 in some markets now; hopefully that version will work better, but my TiVo hasn't gotten the update yet.

8. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    We have version 14.9.2.2-01-2-746 - so it seems this problem was not corrected.

9. Jan 5, 2012 #9 of 10
    EldRick

EldRick New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Comcast seems to think that 480i is High Definition, and most of their content is at this lowest of standards. My TV does a LOT better at scaling than the tivo, and does not screw up the color balance and saturation when upscaling to 1080, while the Premiere does a miserable job of scaling to 1080i.

What do we have to to get back the setting where the tivo outputs the same native resolution as the content, so that my TV can do high-grade scaling automatically?

As an original tivo owner back in the day, and a DirecTV (tivo and DTV dvrs) customer for years, I have to say that the Premiere has all the characteristics of Beta software - slow, buggy, and under-function - I'm very disappointed.

10. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH