Premiere MRV broken - hangs client Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by shamilian, May 27, 2011.

1. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    A premiere serving a list of shows to a client (either TivoHD or Premiere) causes the client box to lock up with a "Please Wait" message. (All tivos are hardwaire ethernet)

This happened under 14.7 and now 14.8.

I have rebooted all the Tivos... still causes the client to hang.
    I can get out of the hang by unpluging the repluging the ethernet cable.
    (I get the message that there are no more shows on the server Tivo)

Tivo Desktop is not affected and seems to work as a client....

If I delete the shows which are shown on the client list, then the next time the client shows an empty flickering list... and still hangs.

I have tried to delete more shows lower in the now playing list, this had no affect.

I don't want to delete all my shows...

Is there a kickstart that checks the "lists" for correctness ?
    (Does code 57 or 58 check the MFS fix this kind of problem?)

Attached Files:

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Looks like there might be a meta data issue with ""Saint John of Las Vegas"" since the list blanks out right after "The Middle". Try deleting the "Saint John of Las Vegas" program off your Premiere and using MRV again. If that works try un-deleting the program.

If that doesn't work, switch your Premiere to use the SD interface and try to look at the My Shows list and see if you can see the problem locally (since MRV uses SD not HD).

3. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I already deleted most of the shows near the end of that list with no luck.
    You were right that changing to the SD menu did break the local "My Shows" list. This will make finding the "bad" show entry easier.....

Wow if only they finished the HD-UI for the premiere at least that one would work...

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    You can try things such as changing the sorting and turning groups off/on. If the problem is with a specific recording(s), doing so might allow you to find it (them) more easliy.

If you can remember when this problem started (what date) and look for anything recorded around that date, it might help narrow down what's causing the problem.

5. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    Using the SD interface I noticed that the entire list would draw properly if grouping were turned off. I played with the order but could not figure out anything from the out come.

I finally figured out the problem was somewhere in the Tivo Suggestions Group. The SD version of the grouping algorithm failed from something in the Tivo Suggestions ( or the size of it ) which caused the list drawing to act oddly....

After delete most of the tivo suggestions ( now in the deleted group ) the lists are behaving again....both in HD and SD modes.

Thanks for the insight ( I didn't realize they used different underlying code for the two systems ).

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Glad it's working. I'd recommend calling or emailing TiVo support and telling them what happened since what you saw shouldn't happen.